I finished my wool jacket and happy with how it turned out :) I like the simple style that is perfect for everyday wear.
This jacket is based on BurdaStyle pattern 10/2013#106 with modifications, I lengthen the jacket until the middle of my thigh, I added self cover buttons and changed the original pockets to in-seam pockets.
I mentioned on my last post about my MAGAM plan, I made this jacket to test the pattern. I didn't make muslin, so I just sew the jacket as it is.
After the jacket done (without lining), I tried it and found out that the shoulder was a little bit big, the sleeve length was too long and the jacket bottom was too big. So, I have to adjust the jacket.
Overall, I really like the result of this jacket. The length is just perfect for my petite figure and have pockets to keep my hands warm :)
2.5 yards of brushed wool in grey color, 2.5 yards silk satin in grey color, fusible interfacing, 5 self cover buttons, 5 snap fasteners, self made shoulder pads and same color of threads.
- After I lengthen the jacket pattern 15 cm, I transfer all the pattern pieces onto the fabrics and cut them all.
- I worked on the fashion fabric first (wool). Sew all the pieces together and found out that the shoulder was a little bit big, so I have to added darts 1 cm in the back at the shoulder and 1 cm added to the front dart (the original pattern has front dart, so I just added / made the dart bigger). Also, the sleeves were too long. So I reduced 8 cm. And the jacket bottom at the back was too big. So, I reduced 2.5 cm from the bottom back side up to the waist. I just created smooth line with ruler and sew it.
- After the jacket ready, I sew in-seam pockets in both sides. I never worked with in-seam pocket before and I was lucky that the pockets came out nicely. For the in-seam pockets pattern, I used from another BurdaStyle pattern, here is the link. The original pockets pattern finished with topstitch on the outer pocket. I tried it but it doesn't look nice. So, I picked out the topstitch and leave the pocket as it is. I will see how the pockets behaves when I am wearing the jacket.
- After that, I sew the lining. Then hand stitched the shoulder pads on the lining.
- After the shoulder pads done, I inserted the collar in between the lining and the fashion fabric. Sew the front jacket and the front panel together. Turned the lining inside. Press all the edges with iron. Sew the sleeves hem and hemline.
- The last two works were sew the snap fasteners and self cover buttons. Done!
And more pictures of the jacket, front - side and back views