Tuesday, February 28, 2012

High Waist Skirt #1

This skirt basic on burda magazine 07/2008 in Spanish edition. I made some change on the waist line and front skirt pleat. The original skirt look really nice in the picture, but not really nice on me. That's why I made some change on it.

I made muslin first for this skirt with the original pattern. But the front skirt pleat do not fit well on me, and then i try to pleat it inside. Wow! look like a magic, my skirt turn out perfect!
For the waist line, I just made a very simple straight waist line 8 cm on the fold. End up with the 2 buttons on the back side of the skirt.

Before I continue the making of my skirt, this is the original pattern that I use:

I used kind of twill flannel brown colour to make this skirt, good to wear on the fall/winter/spring season. I think I am going to make with the lighter fabric for summer. Green colour as the model above is great colour for summer:)

This is my first time ever for making pocket. For the first time I am not sure if I could made the pocket. I just follow the picture because the instructions is in Spanish, luckily I made it:-)
Here I show you how my pocket turn out.

This is the wrong side of the pocket.

Here the back side of my skirt. Finish with invisible zipper and the two buttons on the waist line.

This skirt will be my first ever high waist skirt. I will wear it with tie bow blouse that I made already last day. And I will post it as soon as I have time.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Madura Batik Dress

This dress made from madura batik, one of the traditional batik from East Java - Indonesia. I bought last month from one of the store in Tunjungan Plaza - Surabaya. The colour such adorable red colour and the fabric pattern is really cute. I bought two pieces of madura batik, but this one was choosen by my husband. Again and again, he knew how to choose a great colour:-) 

Basic fabric of batik is cotton, that's why I am not finding any problem during stitching this dress. The pattern from selfdrafting pattern by myself. I made muslin from very cheap cotton before I make the dress.
The style of the dress is pretty simple but really cute. 3/4 sleeve is good for spring season. With some pleated in the front skirt and some pleated in the right shoulder.

This is the drawing of my batik dress:

Material needed for this dress:
- madura batik, the fabric already come in pieces for more less 2 1/4 m
- lighweight interfacing
- same colour thread
- invisible zipper

The process of making this dress is quite fast, here how my project begin. The picture below is the back side of my dress. I do not show my muslin here, because the muslin look awful with the cut and fitting here and there.

This is how my front dress turning out. We can not see very clear the front pleated because of the batik. But if you see carefully, there is three pleated under shoulder area.

Here the back side of my dress, I can feel that the fitting is really great.

Now, the final part of my dress. Finally I knew how to add back vent to my skirt. I follow the technique from one of the burdastyle member. Visit for more detail if any of you want to know how to make back vent skirt.

To be honest, this is one of my best fitting dress so far that I made. More than that, finally I wear this dress for the first time on my husband company party.

I also share this project on