Showing posts from July, 2013

Sewing Vintage Modern Polka Dot Dress

dress front A new dress! Yes, I am glad that I finally finished it:) This is my second project based on Elizabeth Gathered Waist Dress  from Burdastyle Sewing Vintage Modern Book . You can see my first project here . For this polka dot dress,  I only used the dress bodice pattern and instead of using straight-gathered skirt from the original pattern, I used pleated skirt pattern from my stash. Also, I changed the side zipper to the middle back. I used 2 yards of polka dot fabric, light weight fusible interfacing, invisible zipper and same color of thread. All of them are from my stash. source The process of making this dress is very simple and enjoyable. The instructions from the book are very easy to follow and I definitely will make another project based on this pattern. How I worked on this dress: For the dress bodice: I had the copied pattern with adjustment from my first dress, but this one I kept the style original. For skirt: I am not so sure where I got the pa

Little Girl's Dress And Gathered Skirt

girl's dress with a bow gathered girl's skirt I made these little projects especially for my 7 year old niece. The dress based on Burdastyle Girl's Dress 08/2012  size 8, but I omitted front side panel and the pockets. I changed the pleated band in the front dress with a simple bow and reduced the length of the dress. I also drew the neckline and armhole facings. Materials : 1 1/5 yards of printed chiffon from my stash, invisible zipper and same color of thread. How I worked on the dress: I read the sewing instructions before I copy the pattern. Traced all the pattern pieces and cut all the fabric pieces. I serge all the edges using an overlocked sewing machine, then I sew front and back dress right sides together. Sew invisible zipper in the middle back side. Sew the front and back facing right sides together, press and iron it. Then sew the facing around neckline right sides together, turn it inside the dress. Press, top stitched and iron it. I also did t

Threads Magazine June/July 2013

 A very talented sewist Marina Von Koenig of Frabjous Couture  held a give away a month ago and I was very lucky to win it. The magazine arrived on my hand today after I picked up from the post office. Here is the magazine cover, I'd love to say a big thank you to Marina for sending me this magazine. I am extremely happy, can not wait to read it all and learning more sewing techniques. Here is one of the article that I really want to read, Have a wonderful Monday everyone!

DIY Hair Tie

Hi all, Today post is about hair accessories! I made these hair ties from the leftover fabrics that already sitting inside my stash for so long, I think some of them already there for almost 3 years. I took them out, washed and iron it. This is very easy, fast and fun small project to make and I'd love to share the step by step tutorials with all of you. I hope you like it:) Prepare the fabric, light weight cotton or silk. Cut rectangular shape, 30" x 6" (1/2" seam allowances included). Serge all the edges of the fabric using an overlock sewing machine. And cut elastic 7". With right side together, fold the fabric and pin it. Then stitch the fabric 1/2" seam allowance with the sewing machine. Turn it inside out.     Insert the safety pin into the elastic and pin it on the edge of the fabric as shown in the pictures. Insert another safety pin in the end of the elastic, and insert the elastic by pulling the safety

Super Sweet Blogging Award

I'd like to say a big thank you to Margo of Creating In The Gap  for nominating my blog for The Super Sweet Blogging Award. Margo is a very sweet and talented sewist who blogged all her sewing projects, check out her blog  to see all her lovely creations. Here are the official rules that I have to do next after received the award: Thank the Super Sweet blogger that nominated you. Answer 5 Super Sweet questions Include the Super Sweet Blogging Award in your post Nominate a baker's dozen (13) other deserving bloggers. Notify your Super Sweet Nominees on their blog.

Sweetheart Dress 04/2013

Hello everyone! I finally managed to finish my latest dress and I am truly happy with it. I love the whole dress but my favorite is the dress bodice and I think I will make another dress based on it with different style of skirt. I was supposed to work on this dress during weekend but I was busy with family activities, so only this morning I could finish it and take a pictures. Here are the details of the dress, Pattern: This dress is my second project for Style The Stash Sew A Long , based on Burdastyle Sweetheart Dress 04/2013. I used size 34 for the dress bodice and size 38 for the skirt. I drew a new pattern for the bodice size 34 because the minimum size from the original pattern is 36. Then I have to adjust the bodice pattern to match with the skirt pattern ( I had a vary size between the bodice and the skirt). Materials: I used 2 yards of brocade fabric in green color, 2 yards of white cotton for muslin, light weight fusible interfacing, invisible zipper and same col