Thursday, July 28, 2016

July Dress in Ballerina Print

Hello, I made a new dress :) It has princess seams bodice, V-neckline, sleeveless, flared skirt and finished with invisible zipper at the back.
Pattern : I modified BurdaStyle Retro Dress 09/2014 size 34. I made my first dress based on this pattern last year, so I am not worried to trace the new pattern pieces :)
Materials: 2 yards of ballerina print crepe in dark blue, fusible interfacing, invisible zipper, hook n eye fastener and same colour of thread.

The process of making this dress started with modification of the pattern, I removed the button down from the original pattern and make the center front bodice and skirt on fold. Skip the pockets and then added invisible zipper at the center back.
As the usual manner, I sewed the princess seams at the front and back bodices. Sewed the facings and attached to the neckline and armholes. Turned inside out and attached to the shoulder right sides together.
After that I attached the skirt pieces on the bodices, sewed the sides, sewed the invisible zipper with hook and eye fastener at the top of it.
The last work was narrow hem, a little bit more patience with ironing and sewing but the result was really good.

Well, I think this dress was done in 9 hours, much less than I normally did in my other dresses. And also this dress is just so perfect for hot weather and the skirt draped so nicely :)

Hope you are all having a nice summer holiday!

+Hana Velvet Ribbon

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Joyful Sweetheart Dress

Hello friends, hope you have a happy sewing day :)
As promised in my previous post, here is the finished Joyful Sweetheart dress for Magam June challenge.
Fabric : 2 yards of printed cotton poplin.
Pattern : BurdaStyle Vintage Modern Elizabeth Gathered-Waist dress size 34 modified to a sweetheart dress. I did the wearable muslin but I modified the bodice again to princess seamed. Also, the dress has facing, gathered skirt, side zipper and finished with narrow hem.

The process was a little bit tricky because I have to copy the bodice from my wearable muslin, remove the darts and make princess seam bodice for both front and back - as shown in the pictures below.

After I had all the pieces, I sewed the bodice and carefully clip the seam allowances and sew the raw edges using the zig zag stitch.
Then sewed the shoulder right sides together. After that, I prepared the skirt by gather them all and attached it to the bodices. Followed by sewing the right side of the dress and inserted the zipper in the left side.
I fused the facings with fusible interfacing and attached to the bodices and sewed the bias tape around the armholes. Then I did the last step, narrow hem.

After all, I really love this dress and happy with the fit. Hope I will wear more this summer :)

Happy Sewing!

+Hana Velvet Ribbon

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Basic Crochet Top

I have been very enthusiastic with crochet and knitting lately and so happy to finish my first ever crochet top after almost two months :) The pattern is made by me, I usually use size M. No special rule to crochet this top, I just double crochet and measured the length in rectangle shape. Finished the neckline and armholes with single crochet. Very easy, isn't it?
For the yarn, I used 7 skeins cotton yarn : 875 m. And for the needle, I used 3.5 mm crochet hook.

The finished top is just so comfy and roomy in the sleeves. I was planning to wear it this summer but can not, it is too heavy to wear in hot humid weather. But it is okay, I will wear it during colder month, on top of long t-shirt :)

The process started with back piece, I worked from the middle bodice - 90 chain stitches followed with double crochet stitches until measured 23 cm. Then continue worked in the back neckline by marked both shoulders 16 cm, and shaped the neckline until measured 3 cm. After that I did the bottom bodice, marked both sleeves 5 cm and double crochet until measured 28 cm.

After the back piece done, I worked on the middle front bodice - 90 chain stitches followed with double crochet stitches until measured 18 cm. And then I marked both shoulders 16 cm and carefully shaped the front neckline until measured 8 cm.
After the middle front done, I did the same as the back bodice, marked both sleeves 5 cm and double crochet until measured 28 cm.

Then I did the last three parts of finishing this top, seamed both shoulders right sides together and both sides of the top right sides together started from sleeves down to the hem. After that single crochet the neckline and armholes 4 rows and then hemline 2 rows. Done!

A little note : The finished top was a little bit big at the sleeves but I did that in purpose of confines, If any of my reader want to make the same top with better fit, feel free to reduce the sleeve size in both length and wide :)

Here is detail of the pattern, hope you enjoy it :)

And some process in pictures.

The final top, front and back views.

That's it for my today post, I am wishing everyone a lovely day and a happy crafting!

+Hana Velvet Ribbon

Video tutorial "Double Crochet" from VeryPink Knits