Saturday, April 30, 2016

Batik Dress #5

Hello, I finished the dress for my April stash "make a garment a month". The fabric is one of my oldest stash and it is a very special batik from my country produced by Batik Keris, I am not sure which type, I bought it just because of the print :)

After so much thinking of the right pattern, I decided to use BurdaStyle pattern from 08/2014 #106A size 36. The dress is sleeveless, seamed in between a natural and drop waist for structure and hip pockets, just perfect for hot summer weather.

Actually, the pattern suggest to use scuba knit or high tech fabric but I went with cotton. And as I used cotton, I added 2 cm in the both sides until the waist and 3 cm in both sides of the hips. And then I drew new facings for front and back. I also added the dress length 3 cm - just right in my knee with 2.5 cm hem allowance and 1.5 seam allowance in all edges.

The sewing process was enjoyable, I decided to hand-sewn the armhole facing to get prettier look - in my mind :) The hips pockets weren't difficult to sew and I like the result, I think a summer dress will not be complete without pockets.
Also, sewing the side zipper wasn't easy. I was very careful pinning it and make sure that the two lines front and back are matching properly. Glad that I did it, otherwise I will remove and sew it again.
The final step of this dress is sew the hem allowance 2.5 cm with my sewing machine. Done!

And here are more pictures of the final dress, front - back and side with pocket. Hope you can see the seams in between busy print :)

Happy Sewing!

Love, Hana

Friday, April 8, 2016

Burdastyle Oversize Sweater

I made two sweaters based on Burda Easy A/W 2013 - pattern no 6 C size 34/36. These projects belong to MAGAM March Challenge with theme "Moreish Makeover March". I was trying my best to finish them by the end of last month but I couldn't.

These sweaters are my second and third versions, you can check my first version for more detail including my work process.

For the fabrics, I used medium weight knit cotton in dark blue with small flowers and pink with small white dots. I bought 3 yards and I only need 1.75 yards for each sweater, so I still have left over fabric enough to make summer top :)

The sewing process was easy but somehow it took so long for me to finish. I started work with the blue sweater and decided to change the original hi-low hem with a normal hem and used black ribbing for the bands. The rest of the sweater is like the original pattern :)

For the pink sweater, I added decorative pieces in the front and back. I did that by cut the fabric in the triangle shapes with 1 cm seam allowance in all edges. And I just put one piece on top of the other  (bottom piece) and sew it.

Also, I omitted the side buttons at the shoulder and finished the neck band by fold the fabric 1 cm inside and sew around with twin needle.
For the sleeves and hem bands, I used the wrong side of same fabric and I did the hi-low hem as the original pattern.

After all, I like both sweaters. They are cosy and easy to wear but I think I will not be making more oversize sweaters. Spring is finally here and I am ready for sewing floral dresses, skirts and airy tops :)

Happy Sewing and hope you have a great day.