Pages

Friday, January 2, 2015

My Last Garment Of 2014 : Basic Long Sleeve Top

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015!

Today post is about my last garment of 2014 and also my December garment of MAGAM Challenge :)
As I mentioned on My Facebook Page some days ago this top is based on Spanish sewing magazine "Moda Diana" no.75 - 3P
I was planning to make the top with purple knit fabric only but I decided to add color block with dark purple knit because I want to make a not so boring basic top.
At the end of my work, I liked my new top and I am happy to have one more casual top that I can wear with my jeans :)

Pattern And Alterations:
As I mentioned in the beginning, for the pattern I used Spanish sewing magazine "Moda Diana" no.75 - 3P size 34/36. The minimum size of the original pattern is 38/40, so I have to grade down the pattern to size 34/36 with following alterations,
  • I omitted the darts (bust darts and back darts)
  • Made a color block by slashed the front top pattern in two pieces
  • Shorten the sleeve length 2 cm
  • Reduced the length of the top 10 cm
  • Finished the top with 2.5 cm sleeve allowance and 4 cm hem allowance
Even so, I still find the top too big after I sew it. I will explain how I dealt with the issue in the post below.

Materials:
2 yards of knit cotton in purple color, 1/2 yards of knit cotton in dark purple and same color of thread.

Sewing Process:
This is my first work on pattern based on Moda Diana Magazine, so I expected that the pattern will be different, at least in the size.
Well, I was right. After I sew all the pieces together, the top still too big for me.
The shoulder was too big. So, I have to add darts in both front and back side at the middle of the shoulder 1 cm. The length of the front dart is 10 cm and the length of the back dart is 15 cm.
Also, the top was too big. So, I have to reduce (slim down) both sides of the top 2.5 cm.

The rest of the process was fine. I didn't translate the instructions but I just follow my self-taught. I sew the top like any other previous top. The only new thing was the finishes neckline. I just flip the seam allowance 1.5 cm at the neckline inside - pin it all around and sew it using twin needle. The result was good, the neckline laid nicely :)

Here are some pictures of my top, front and back views with the closer look

the closer look of the finished neckline and the shoulder dart
 

the closer look of the back shoulder dart
And then two more pictures of me wearing the top, front and back view


Happy Sewing!

11 comments:

  1. Cute top Hana! The shoulder darts are very interesting, great save! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color Hana! So beautiful on you -- hope you had a wonderful first day of 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice top. I hate bust darts in a knit also. When you removed them did you transfer them to the hem of the garment???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye.
      Yes, I did transfer them to the hem.

      Delete
  4. Love your top.. The color blocking is fantastic... Happy New Year and Happy Sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Happy New Year and Happy Sewing to you too :)

      Delete
  5. A great solution to the too wide shoulders - I've done that sometimes (or a pleat). Your darts look as though they belong to the garment.

    I love the diagonal colour block - the t-shirt looks very smart this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say Happy New Year to you and your family :)

      Delete
    2. I tried to match the front and back dart carefully, so they will look nice and laid flat to the garment.

      Thank you for a lovely comment and Happy New Year to you and you family too:)

      Delete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...