Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jackie Dress

Finally I managed to finish my first project from sewing vintage modern book. A very feminine and sophisticated sleeveless dress with funnel collar. Made from red lace fabric and red silk crepe-de-chine.

~A little note: suggested fabric for this dress is silk brocade and lightweight wool~ but I replaced it with 2 yards of red lace fabric and 2 yards of red silk crepe-de-chine that I had inside my stash. 24" invisible zipper, snap fastener for belt and same colour thread.

This dress based on the bodice from Louisa Drop-Waist dress size 34. I adjust the pattern on the waist and hip by added 1" along the side seam. I extend the front and back bodice 13.5" from the waist marked of the pattern along the side seam and at center front and back. For the rest of the pattern, I followed the pattern making instructions from the book.

How I worked on this dress:
After I had done the pattern, I cut the fabric and sew it according to the book instructions. I omitted the bow (for dress belt), to be honest I am not into bow style on this moment.
I did a little different work on the hemline. I had to do it because of my fabrics are too slippery. I cut the lace fabric according to the amount that I need and then I stitch it on the dress bottom and finished with under stitch all around it.

And here are more pictures of my Jackie Dress,

This is the dress picture without belt on it.

This pictures below is the dress lining. I under stitch the whole armhole facing to keep the slippery fabric from rolling to the outside when I wear it.


~Happy Sewing~


Friday, February 22, 2013

BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern Book Review

I am very excited to share with all of you about this amazing book. If you are a member of BurdaStyle or follow them on Facebook, you must have heard about this book. I received it more or less two weeks ago. I bought it on amazon, here is the link.
This book has five base patterns plus fourteen step-by-step project variations - all of which include in depth patternmaking and sewing instructions.

Here are the five base patterns:

1. Louisa Drop-Waist Dress (1920's style)

2. Frank Button -Down Shirt (1940's style)

3. Elizabeth Gathered-Waist Dress (1950's style)

4. Jamie Shift Dress (1960's style)

5. Jeans Stirrup Pants (1960's style)

The book is really beautiful, each chapter begins with sketches of the garment and must-have accessories of the decade, descriptions of signature silhouettes, designers you should know and style icons.

And here are the dress and top variations that I am going to work on my next sewing project,
Jacky Dress (1960's)

Margaux Evening Dress

Heather Bustier Dress (1980's) and Veronica Geometric Top (1980's)

Lilian Blouse (1950's)
Beside all the dresses and tops, I also want to make a shirt for my husband. And before I say goodbye for today post, I just want to let you know that I am working on my first dress from this book. My first choice is Jacky Dress, I had 2 yards of lace fabric and 2 yards of silk crepe-de-chine in my stash.


~Happy Sewing~

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Long Sleeve Dress

This is the sewing project that I promised on my last post, a long sleeve dress made from stretch fabric that I bought during my holidays in Portugal. I've done this dress on december last year but I didn't have time to post it or even to wear it.

Here are the details of this dress,
Empire dress.

I used 2 yards of stretch fabric in blue colour. I don't have a stay tape, so I replaced it with lightweight fusible interfacing for the neckline. Same colour of thread.

I used two different patterns from burdastyle for this dress. For the dress body I used pattern A  and for the sleeve I used pattern B . Here are the pictures of the dress pattern,                                                       
pattern A, empire dress from

pattern B, A-line dress from

How I worked:
I transfered the dress body pattern (empire dress) and sleeve pattern (A-line dress) size 34 on a sheet of paper. I had burdastyle magazine 08/2012 but if you don't have the magazine you can buy printable pattern from, just click the link of the pattern A and B on the picture above.
After I have done the patterns, I made an alteration on the armhole and sleeve. I added 1" on the front neckline ( I don't like too deep front neckline). I also shorten the skirts pattern about 7".
I cut the fabrics and sew it according to the instructions from burdastyle. I enjoyed the process of making this dress, I'll definitely make another one with more variations.

And here are more pictures of the dress,

~Happy sewing~