Posts

Showing posts from July, 2021

Refashioned Midi Patchwork Dress

Image
Hello friends, I finished a midi dress for my entry to #magamsewalong challenge on Instagram. This month's theme is Jumble July and I decided to make a patchwork dress using my old dresses and scrap fabrics. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted slip dress pattern. I added darts (front and back) and lengthen the dress until the middle of my knee. Also, I made the straps a little bigger than my previous slip dress. The progress started with drafting the pattern pieces and cut the old dresses, rtw top and scrap fabrics into a square shape. And then stitched them together until formed a big piece of patchwork fabric, as shown in the pictures below. After that, I cut the fabric and the lining as well. The lining fabric was soft white cotton that I bought recently in the local shop. I sewed the darts, sewed the facings to the linings and sewed the raw edges using an overlocker machine. I sewed the lining and the dress togethe

Polka Dot Top With Ruffle Peplum

Image
I made a polka dot dress with an a-line skirt last month but it didn't turn out as my plan, so I decided to refashion it into a top with a ruffle peplum. Firstly, I removed the zipper and the skirt. I used the bodices, cut the skirt fabric for the ruffle peplum and kept the rest of the fabric for future make.  For the pattern, I used my self-drafted tank dress with the addition of darts. I made two tank dresses before, the first  and  the second  versions in case you wanted to see them.  The fabric I used: cotton viscose polka dot from the local shop. The collage below was the process of sewing the front bodice. I did the same for the back bodice except inserted the rings to connect the ties later. After I cut the pieces for the ruffle peplum, I gathered it using big stitches with my sewing machine, pulled the thread and attached the fabric to the bodice right sides together. And then, sewed the raw edges using an overlocker machine, sewed the si

Kimono Cover-up

Image
I was planning to make five garments in June and glad I managed to make them all. Four of the garments were finished last month and the last garment (kimono cover-up) was finished yesterday. The kimono was easy, fun and fast to sew. I love it and thinking to make another in a plain color, I have a rayon fabric in green in my stash and I might use it. My plan was to sew this kimono to match with  my orange swimsuit  as a cover-up and also, to wear it with  my elastic waist denim pants  and RTW tank top as shown in the picture above. For the fabric, I used printed cotton voile. I had 75 cm leftover from  my previous dress  and I went back to the shop and bought another 1.5 yards.  For the pattern, I followed a Youtube tutorial from Jess Dang's channel  here is the link , her video is lovely and easy to follow. Besides the kimono, she shared many DIY tutorials. Feel free to check her channel 😍 The sewing process was fun, I don't need to draft t

Wrap Top

Image
Hello friends, I finally finished my garment for #sewyourwradrobebasics June challenge hosted by @SeaOf Teal . The theme was ''Jersey'' and I was planning to make a wrap dress using the knit jersey fabric in purple from my stash. For me, a wrap dress is convenient and practical, I will just put the dress in, no zipper or button. I will wear this dress with flat shoes when doing errands and little high heels when going out for lunch/dinner.  But sadly, I didn't like the look of the dress on me. I think the problem was my fabric choice, too soft, too stretchy and lightweight. I will look for better fabric with medium-weight and less stretchy, so I can make this pattern again because it's a good pattern. Especially after my hard work to match the two patterns together, Burdastyle Wrap Dress 05/2019 size 38  and Fait Main Wrap Dress - May 2019 size 38. I love Burdastyle wrap dress pattern, I made the first version before and it fits me nicely

Puff Sleeve Gathered Front Top

Image
Hi friends, hope you are well. I made another aqua blue top with a puff sleeve and gathered front style. My plan was to make a puff sleeve top with a button-down style but I changed my mind after I saw many cute gathered tops on Pinterest. I used my self-drafted jersey v-neck t-shirt pattern, modified the sleeves into puff sleeves, slashed the center front into four pieces, and connected again with a space of  2.5 cm, as shown in the picture below. Pattern detail: Sleeves (2 pieces), neckband (in the end I don't need), back top (on the fold), front top (2 pieces) and ties ( 45 cm wide x 4 cm / included seam allowance 1 cm). I used my overlocker machine to sew almost all the edges and my sewing machine to sew the ties, neckline, sleeves and hemline. Here is my sewing process and hope this tutorial will help 😊 I sewed the ties and turned them inside out. Sewed the shoulder lines right sides together and carefully pinned and stitched the neckline 1.25