DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Wrap Top

Hello friends, I finally finished my garment for #sewyourwradrobebasics June challenge hosted by @SeaOf Teal. The theme was ''Jersey'' and I was planning to make a wrap dress using the knit jersey fabric in purple from my stash. For me, a wrap dress is convenient and practical, I will just put the dress in, no zipper or button. I will wear this dress with flat shoes when doing errands and little high heels when going out for lunch/dinner. 
But sadly, I didn't like the look of the dress on me. I think the problem was my fabric choice, too soft, too stretchy and lightweight. I will look for better fabric with medium-weight and less stretchy, so I can make this pattern again because it's a good pattern. Especially after my hard work to match the two patterns together, Burdastyle Wrap Dress 05/2019 size 38  and Fait Main Wrap Dress - May 2019 size 38.
I love Burdastyle wrap dress pattern, I made the first version before and it fits me nicely but my plan was to make a wrap dress with sleeves, So I traced Fait Main wrap dress pattern (bodices and sleeve) and then adjusted it into the Burdastyle pattern. I did a full arm adjustment on the sleeve and I taped bodices patterns of Fait Main on top of Burdastyle, adjusted them together and trimmed the excess pattern.

Here is the almost finished wrap dress, I did my best to make the wrap line stayed in place but the fabric was too stretchy and lightweight. Not nice on me 😓 and then I decided to change it into a top.
I was thinking and trying to find a better way to refashion this dress without messing it out and then I found a solution to make it into the same wrap style top, the wrap finished with a band and also attached a big band at the waist. And here is my process:
  • I cut the fabric 5 cm below the ties, trimmed the neckline (wrap line) and removed the ties.
  • Cut a band from the same fabric 6 cm wide x the total length of the wrap line (minus 20 cm). Pinned the band and sewed it using an overlocker machine. Topstitched along the wrap line and sewed the ties on the left side (left body and wrap piece).
  • I prepared the big band 50 cm wide x the total amount of the top. Stitched the two ends of the bands right sides together. And then, folded the band, pinned it along the top's bottom and sewed it using my overlocker machine.
  • The last part was sewing the hems of the sleeves using twin needle and I'm done. 

Here is a closer look at the wrap style and the twin needle stitch on the sleeve.

And more pictures of the wrap dress, I was wearing it with me-made culottes that I sewed 2 years ago using Burdastyle pattern 04/2019. In case you are interested, here is a blog post about the culottes.





After all, I love this wrap top and I will wear this more in my daily life. I still have one more garment to finish (kimono bathing cover-up) before planning to make July's garments.
I think that is more than enough for today's post, have a lovely weekend friends 💗

Comments

  1. Very pretty design, and that particular shade of purple is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment