DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Puff Sleeve Gathered Front Top

Hi friends, hope you are well. I made another aqua blue top with a puff sleeve and gathered front style. My plan was to make a puff sleeve top with a button-down style but I changed my mind after I saw many cute gathered tops on Pinterest.
I used my self-drafted jersey v-neck t-shirt pattern, modified the sleeves into puff sleeves, slashed the center front into four pieces, and connected again with a space of  2.5 cm, as shown in the picture below.
Pattern detail:
Sleeves (2 pieces), neckband (in the end I don't need), back top (on the fold), front top (2 pieces) and ties ( 45 cm wide x 4 cm / included seam allowance 1 cm).
I used my overlocker machine to sew almost all the edges and my sewing machine to sew the ties, neckline, sleeves and hemline.
Here is my sewing process and hope this tutorial will help 😊
  • I sewed the ties and turned them inside out.
  • Sewed the shoulder lines right sides together and carefully pinned and stitched the neckline 1.25 cm allowance.
  • Sewed the front centers right sides together and top-stitched both allowances to insert the ties. I marked the center front just below my bustline and then inserted the ties until the marked area. Stitched the ties at the marked area.
  • After that, I sewed the sleeves and the sleeve hems ( I gave space 2 cm un-sewn/open to insert the elastic), I decided to insert the elastic a little loose and it looks better on me than the tight one. After I inserted the elastic, I stitched the open space and I'm done with the puff sleeves.
  • I sewed the sides after I did the sleeves. Fused the fusible band along the hemline and stitched it, my top is done 😍

I'm happy with the result of my first gathered front top, I love it and this will be a great addition to my summer wardrobe. Also, this top will match easily with my handmade skirts (blue denim, dark grey denim, or even my beige skirt). 

In the pictures, I was wearing my blue top with my self-drafted dark grey denim skirt that I made two years ago.


Happy sewing friends, I'm off to my sewing corner to solve the problem with my purple wrap dress. I think I will cut the dress and change it into a wrap top. 

Comments

Post a Comment