DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Refashioned Midi Patchwork Dress

Hello friends, I finished a midi dress for my entry to #magamsewalong challenge on Instagram. This month's theme is Jumble July and I decided to make a patchwork dress using my old dresses and scrap fabrics. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted slip dress pattern. I added darts (front and back) and lengthen the dress until the middle of my knee. Also, I made the straps a little bigger than my previous slip dress.

The progress started with drafting the pattern pieces and cut the old dresses, rtw top and scrap fabrics into a square shape. And then stitched them together until formed a big piece of patchwork fabric, as shown in the pictures below.
After that, I cut the fabric and the lining as well. The lining fabric was soft white cotton that I bought recently in the local shop. I sewed the darts, sewed the facings to the linings and sewed the raw edges using an overlocker machine.

I sewed the lining and the dress together, pinned and sewed the zipper at the backside. The matching patchwork at the backside wasn't perfect, but I decided to go with it because I didn't have much time to fix it. Luckily the busy patchwork prints hid the imperfection.
I prepared the straps and sewed them to the front dress first.
Sewed the dress front and back together and the linings as well. And then I hand sewed the straps to the back dress.
Here is a closer look at the progress of hand sewing the back straps. I inserted the strap between the dress and the facing, hand sewed it carefully.
Here is the final dress on my dress form, so colorful and perfect for summer.
And here are the inner dress, front and back sides.
And three more pictures to show you because I'm really happy with my new and refashioned dress 😍
That's it for today, thank you for hosting the fun challenge @suestoney , @sewing_in_spain and @bayhaus7023 I love July's theme and I look forward to participating again next month.

Happy Sewing 💗

Comments

  1. A quilt dress! How clever and fun! Oh, how I enjoy watching you create!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment