DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

V-neck Lace Dress

Happy New Year 2022 everyone, I wish you a safe, healthy, and prosperous new year 💖
On my sewing table at the moment is a Burdastyle blouse with a side knot, I cut the blouse fabric and started sewing on December 17 but I couldn't finish it until today due to the holiday season. So, instead of waiting for the finished blouse to update this blog, I decided to publish the v-neck lace dress that I made at the beginning of December.
I posted this lace dress on my Instagram last month, the reason why I sew this v-neck dress was to wear it at our 10th wedding anniversary dinner. I finished the dress on time but somehow I think it was missing something in this dress, I tried to add a bow at the waistline and silk overlay at the shoulder but I still didn't like the dress. In the end, I keep this dress for future wear and went to the mall to buy a dress for the anniversary dinner 😁

Well, I love this v-neck dress, simple and the fit was good. The dress has 3/4 sleeves length, princess seam bodices, midi length a-line skirt, and body and skirt lining. 
For the pattern, I modified my basic dress block sloper. I made it in a v-neckline, modified the bodices into a princess seam style, made a swayback adjustment, and changed the pencil skirt into an a-line skirt.
The below picture shows my self-drafted pattern, 

For the fabric, I used maroon color lace fabric for the main dress and maroon color silk satin for the lining. 

The sewing progress started with carefully cutting the lace fabric for all pieces (bodices, skirt, and sleeves) and silk lining fabric for the bodices and skirt. After I cut all the pieces, I worked on the princess seam bodices first by pinning the lace and the silk lining fabrics together and then sewing them. I skipped the basting and the result wasn't bad. 



After the bodices were done, I attached and sewed the skirt. And then, I fused the fusible band at the center back to reinforce the invisible zipper. 


I sewed the invisible zipper after that and sewed the neck facing, I used the lace fabric for the neck facing. Carefully sew around the neckline right sides together, clip the curved area, and turn the facing inside. After that, I hand-stitched the facing and the lining together.



Here is the look of the inner dress, I'm happy that the inside looks nice, I didn't use my overlocker to sew the raw edges but I used a zig-zag stitch.

I made the skirt lining shorter than the main dress about 10 cm. For the finishing hemlines, I used a narrow hem for the lining and hand-stitched it for the main dress (lace).

That's all about the progress 📍✂👗 I hope one day I'll wear this dress 😊 And here are more photos of the dress on me, front, back, and side views.


Happy Sewing 💖

Comments

Post a Comment