DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Me Made May 2021 Round Up

Hi friends, I hope you are well. I was participating Me-Made-May 2021 and this year is my ninth year of participating, it was a fabulous and fun challenge. I completed the challenge and followed my pledge, wearing only me-made garments and refashioned during the whole month of May. 
The picture above is the collage of the garments I wore last month. Most of them are old makes except the denim a-line skirt and a purple t-shirt that I made in April, a pink cotton dress that I made in the middle of May and two t-shirts in aqua blue and white I made recently. 
Also, I managed to mend my two old dresses, skirt and refashioned my RTW long rectangle scarf into another scarf. Glad I did, they fit me better now. 
Besides had fun and met like-minded people, I learned more about sewing and got some inspiration for future projects.
I have so many plans after MMMay 2021 challenge, but I will be posting it another time. For now, let me show you my round-up. I realized that my style didn't change much in the past three years, I mostly wearing dresses than separates because summer in my place is hot and humid, dresses are easier and comfortable to wear. So, nothing to upgrade or worry about my summer wardrobe but I'd love to take a look at my winter wardrobe and make a review 😊

Okay, enough talking about plans. Here are the garments that I wore during May:
Day 1 to 6.
Most of the garments from day 1 to 6 were old makes and I'm sure you are seeing them many times on my Instagram or in this blog. The oldest garments were my husband's shirt and the yellow refashioned tunic dress. A little note for the white printed dress with ruffle hem, I need to reduce both sides of the dress because I felt it too loose. This means I'm losing weight 😍

Day 7 to 12.
The oldest garments were my husband's shirt and my floral blue and white dress. I also wore three refashioned garments, liberty tana-lawn blouse, beige color skirt and Jijaka print dark blue dress.
And two new outfits, a denim skirt with a purple t-shirt and a pink cotton dress that I made recently.
I posted the progress of refashioning my liberty tana-lawn blouse and Jijaka print dark blue dress in the previous IG posts, link here and here.
For the beige skirt, I mended last month. It was an a-line self-drafted skirt and I reduced both sides, I love the result and the fit after that.

Day 13 to 18.
The oldest garment was my Simplicity red dress. I don't remember when I made it but it's getting really old and time to replace with the new one.
I also wore refashioned dress, the green patchwork dress that I really love. You can see the process of making it link here from my previous blog post.
The only RTW garment was the light purple t-shirt but I mended it. I cut the length and shape the waistline a little.
Day 19 to 25.
I wore another old dress in printed light blue, I'm not sure what year I made it but I think it's time to replace it with the new one. Also, I refashioned my RTW long black scarf from Zara into a square shape and finished the raw edge with a rolled hem stitch. 
I wore my new t-shirt in aqua blue and glad it matched nicely with my grey linen blend culottes.  
I mended the floral dress too because I didn't like the fit. I lowered the neckline and armholes. Reduced the wide of the facings and loved the result. The dress is comfier now and perfects to wear at home.

Day 26 to 31.
The oldest dress is the one in red printed cotton, I think it's still nice to wear but I'd love to fix the neckline. The white t-shirt was made recently and it matched nicely with my green culottes.
I mended another dress, the kimono dress in printed white and floral blue. Firstly, I added the dark blue band last year because it was too short and two days ago,  I cut the sleeve length 10 cm because I didn't like the elbow sleeves, felt too hot to wear in summer.
Before I say goodbye for today, I'd love to share a little detail about my two new t-shirts. I sewed both for my entry to Sew Your Wardrobe Basics May challenge hosted by Sea Of Teal, thank you, Stefanie 💗
I used my self-drafted pattern and used knit fabrics from my stash. Both t-shirts were fast to sew, I finished in one morning. 
I decided to make them a little short but not so much like a crop top because it looks good to wear with my culottes. I also, made the sleeves a little loose. 
I love both t-shirts, they will be a great addition to my basic wardrobe and they will go easily with my culottes and skirts too. 
In case you are interested to see the detail of the culottes that I wore below, here are the two links from my blog and my IG linen blend culottes in grey and green culottes.

The neckband on the white t-shirt was 1/2 cm wider than the aqua blue one, I liked the wider band and I hope I remember to use wider neckband for the future t-shirt. The sleeve hem and hemline finished with two rows of stitches using my sewing machine and I sewed the rest of the t-shirt using my overlocker machine.
That's a little detail about the t-shirts, I'm thinking to modify the pattern and make another t-shirt 😊

My special thank you to Zoe @sozoblog for hosting MMMay challenge again this year, DH and DS for taking pictures every day during the challenge and all sewing friends for the lovely comments and likes on My Instagram 💗💗💗

Happy sewing and thank you for reading 💕

Comments

  1. Oh Hana,
    you are the Sew Your Wardrobe Basics Queen. Thank you for taking part so often! Seeing your makes every month brings me so much joy!
    Tomorrow I'll announce the June theme and I hope you like it. But you can participate with any handmade basic piece you like!
    I hope you are well. Greetings from Germany,
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stef. I'm searching the right fabric for my June's garment. I hope you are well too.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed seeing your MMMay items for 2021. I love all your dresses! You have styled everything so well too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment