DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Black Button Down Shirt

Hello friends, I mentioned in the previous post that I sewed a black shirt for my husband. The shirt was his birthday gift last month and glad that he loved it.
I used the tnt pattern Burdastyle Vintage Modern Frank Button Down Shirt size 56 with modification and this black shirt is the sixth version. I added 1 cm in both sides and lengthen the sleeve 1.5 cm this time.
For the fabric, I used black cotton shirting from the local shop and I was surprised that they have stock of plain colour instead of stripes.
Well, I still have two more shirts (dark blue and light pink) to sew for him and I hope to cut the fabrics soon.

It is so difficult to see the detail on the black fabric, but anyway I took the picture to show you the whole look of the shirt.
The good thing is that the black shirt is easy to wear with any colour of pants and it's truly wardrobe basic, I'm sure my husband will wear this at least in the next three of four years.
 
Picture above was taken by our son before we went out for a dinner. I was wearing my colour block dress (self-drafted pattern and used cotton blend and batik fabrics).
I also shared the picture in my Instagram last month.

The original pattern is long sleeves, two front pockets, u-shaped hem and pointy collar. 
I did modifications since the first version in 2013. Shorten the sleeve, used only one pocket, straight hemline and made the collar less pointy. Here is the first version in case you want to see the progress.

Sewing the collar was the most difficult part for me, I used a lot of pins and basted them before sewing. But the hard work paid off, the result was neat and lovely as shown below.


I loved seeing the perfect collar and after so many times sewing the collar I'm not afraid to make mistakes.
 
I top stitched the armhole and I can see that the result was okay. I sewed the buttonholes using automatic buttonholes and it made the work easier and faster than the manual one.

That's it for now, I'm off to cut some more scraps for the next little project (patchwork tote bag), pre-washing the fabric for September garments and cutting the blue cotton fabric for huband's shirt.

September is exciting month for home sewists like me, there are some Instagram sew-along/challenges going on. As usual, I'm joining Magam Sew AlongSew Your Wardrobe Basics and Sew Yourself Sustainable.
Feel free to take a look the hashtags #magamsewalong #sewyourwardrobebasics and #sewyourselfsustainable you will find so many inspirations and meeting the like-minded people.

Happy Sewing 💓

Comments

Post a Comment