DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Wrap Dress


I wanted to sew this wrap style dress since the day I received the Burdastyle magazine from my cousin. So happy that I finally made it and wore it last week.
For the fabric, I used printed knit cotton that I bought recently in the local shop. 

This dress is part of my #makenine2020, a yearly self-challenge in Instagram and glad I managed to make six garments, missing three more to sew before the end of the year (culottes, long jacket and denim jacket).

I loved the pattern because of the lovely shoulder ties and the wrap style. But I decided to raise the neckline 1.5 cm and shorten the length at the hemline 3 cm, finished with 2.5 cm hem allowance sewed with a twin needle.
The armholes and neckline finished with bias tape binding from the same fabric.

The process started with cutting the fabric, you can see below that my fabric has a white border in between the print, I think this fabric designed for a tablecloth. I'm lucky that the pattern piece  fits the area with the print. 

The armhole finished with me-made bias tape, I sewed the tape and armhole right sides together. Clipped the curve area, turned the tape inside and top-stitched.

After I sewed the shoulder loops and inserted the ties, I pinned the ties and sewed the neckline band directly along the neckline right sides together, clipped the curve area, turned inside and top-stitched.
I pulled the ties and tied them together in the end.

Here is the final look of the shoulder, I love it. Very cute and stylish. 

I tied the waist ties on the left side only and made the waist ties smaller than the original pattern.
I think this style is better on me than the ties around my waistline. 😊

I wore this dress during our staycation last week, from breakfast, swimming and lunch 😊
For breakfast and lunch, I wore this dress with nicer sandals and bag (last picture) and changed to slippers and tote bag when I went to the pool 😄

I love this dress so much and I'm thinking to make the second version in plain colour. But first, I need to visit the local shop to buy the fabric 😊

Until next...
Happy sewing. ✂️🧵

Comments

  1. I can see why you love this dress! It looks lovely on you! I hope you get a chance to make a second version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely dress in great fabric! The shape is so good on you and I too like it just tied at the sides rather than around the waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diane Thanks a lot, I love the shape too 💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress Hana, and the style suits you very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ellen Thank you, it is very comfy too 💕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment