Friday, July 19, 2019

Burdastyle Culottes and T-shirts

I sewed three garments for myself last month, two t-shirts and culottes for everyday wear. I was planning to sew more separate garments since last year but always distracted with pretty dresses, so I'm glad that I managed to sew these t-shirts and culottes.
I used Burdastyle patterns and stashed fabrics, sewing notion (zipper, thread, and interfacing) also from stash.

The culottes, pattern: Burdastyle Slight Flare Trousers 07/2018 size 36, I graded-up the waistline 1.5 cm.
For the fabric, I used linen blend   in grey. The fabric has two sides colors, off-white on one side and grey in another. I prefer to use the grey on the right side.
Firstly I adjusted the pattern to my liking,

  • I added 1.5 cm at the waistline.
  • I used the upper trousers pattern only and lengthen it until the middle of my knee.
  • Omitted the decorative pocket.
After I did all the adjustment, I cut the fabric and started to sew the pockets. I used floral cotton for the inner pockets with few centimeters band from linen fabric sewn on top of it (first picture above). I used this method to avoid floral fabric pop-out from the finished pocket. And then, sewed the middle legs (front and back) right sides together.
I continued to sew the sides culottes and joined the crotch line, attached and sewed the waistband, remember to fused the fusible interfacing in it before sewing it.
And then I sewed the invisible zipper in the left side of the culottes, I did fuse the fusible tape on the linen fabric before I sew the zipper and sewed the hem 2.5 cm hem allowance.

T-shirt pattern: Burdastyle T-shirt With Tie 04/2019 side 36. I made two t-shirts, first tee with knit jersey print and second tee with white knit cotton.
The pattern was easy and quick to sew (recommended), I did in three hours including tracing the pattern, cutting the fabric and sewing. These t-shirts were my entry to #magamsewalong "Jiffy June" challenge on Instagram, hosted by @suestoney @sewing_in_spain and @hportemanteau

I made the white t-shirt in a usual t-shirt length and omitted the tie band, I sewed as soon as I finished the first t-shirt in jersey print with original style from the pattern.
And as I need a little crop top to match my culottes, I decided to cut the length - below my waistline 😊 Well, I love the result and it looks lovely with the culottes.
And here is the first version of the t-shirt. I decided to use yellow contrast band because the printed jersey knit wasn't enough. And I think mustard yellow looks good with it.
I also, shorten the band length for my liking and lower the neckline 1.5 cm finished with 1 cm neckband.

I like this t-shirt and I'm planning to make more using leftover fabrics. I'd love to try to make it in a v-neck, we will see...
 That's it for today, have a lovely Friday and happy sewing.....

Find us on INSTAGRAM @velvetribbon_sews
                  BLOGLOVIN' Velvet Ribbon


  1. You look so good in your culottes, Hana. And I see that we both use the same tip when adding a pattern to our pocket lining...I also add a strip of main fabric on top to avoid the pattern peeping out :)
    Love both tees...I might have to try that tie detail one for myself.

    1. Thank you, Diane. I love this culottes and I wish to sew one more with matching tee. Adding the strip fabric is a lovely idea. Thanks for the tip 💕

  2. Everything looks great Hana! I love the tip for the pockets--I need to use that in my next project. The culottes fit nicely, and I love the tie top!! I have a similar version by P4P that I may try. I hope you make more, it looks good on you.

    1. Thank you so much, Vanessa. I'm still looking the right fabric for the second culottes inside my stash. Happy sewing, can't wait to seeing your top 😍

  3. The culotte+white shirt outfit is awesome - looks effortless, chic and comfy!

  4. A great combination of colors. I like! This t-shirt is great!