Today, a new blog update is about my latest oversize coat based on Burdastyle pattern 08/2014. I finished this coat two weeks ago, wore it already and love how it turned out.
The coat is so cosy and roomy, kind of menswear style with deep lapels and inseam pockets, finished with two snap buttons and big buttons for decoration.
For the fabric, I used 3 yards of wool blend in greyish green and 3 yards of silk lining in greyish pink that I bought recently in my short trip to Bangkok. I still have a leftover fabric from both that is enough to make a pencil skirt or tote bag. In the final calculation, I think 2.5 yards is enough for petite figure 😊
Also, I am so glad that I chose lighter type of fabric, because apparently winter is not coming to our region. The coldest temperature was 12०C to 15०C and only came during two days, after that we are having 15-20-21०C. So, I will wear this coat more often.
The pattern details, you can find here in burdastyle.com - pattern store I chose size 72. Two things I changed from the original pattern, I didn't top stitch the inseam pockets and I made the back slit shorter (25 cm).
The sewing process was a little bit slow, I started in 26 December 2016 and finished in 10 January 2017. The picture below shows some of the process, started with coat bodice, sleeves and lining. The only tricky part was to work with the lapels as I never work with it before. The instruction from Burda is actually easy to follow.
Here is the closer look of the snap buttons and inseam pockets. I tried to top stitch the inseam pockets but I had to remove because I didn't like it.
For the coat lining, I did almost all by sewing machine and some little parts with hand sewing. I was a little bit confused with the instruction from Burda so, I follow the tutorial from Threads. Here is the link How to bag jacket lining. The back slit was much easier than I expected, I did it with both sewing machine and hand sewing.
Picture below is the wrong side/inner coat. Front - back and the slit.
And the right side of the coat, front - back and the slit.
And now, more pictures of the coat on me, front - back and side views. I found out that the pockets were little bit too low on me. I will move a little bit up a few centimetres next time I sew this type of coat again.
Also, as this coat made for tall women size 72, I think I should have made alterations on the coat bodice to make it shorter or just simply cut the hem. The coat is knee length in the model picture but far below knee on my petite figure.
That's it for today, I will be linking this coat in MAGAM facebook group for December garment with theme "December Dreaming". And will be sewing January garment after this, two basic t-shirts - Deer and Doe Plantain T-shirt for "January Sew New Start".
Thank you for reading!