Lace Long Sleeve Flowy Blouse

Image
I'm finally back to writing on this blog after being busy for two months, I still sew some small items and mend a few clothes but haven't sewn new clothes.  Until two days before Valentine's arrived, I felt like I had to sew a new blouse to wear to dinner. The blouse had to be in the shade of pink, so I checked my stash and found 2 yards of lace fabric in fuchsia that I don't remember when I bought it. After I had the fabric, I started making the pattern (based on my previous self-drafted blouse pattern) I modified the pattern into a flowy blouse. The pattern was simple, a round neckline, gathered front and back yokes and gathered sleeves with elastic bands. Here is the pattern that I drafted, And after the pattern was done, I cut the fabric as usual. The sewing process was fun and turned out to be easier than I imagined. I sewed the neckline front and back yokes and then attached them to the gathered bodices as shown below. After that, I sewed the shoulder lines togeth

Easy Shift Dress

Hello everyone,
Today I'd love to show you my new dress that I made last week. It is a lovely shift dress with pocket and easy to sew. The original pattern has triangle cutout in the front, but I skip it. Before I explain more about the detail, let's take a look of the final dress. I am wearing it today for MMMay'16 Day 12, the picture taken in one of the small streets in Old Taipa Village - Macau :)  

For the fabric, I used 1.75 yards of light weight denim jersey knit and for the pattern, I used BurdaStyle Triangle Cutout Dress 08/2014#117 size 36. Beside skipping the triangle cutout, I added 1.5 cm in the shoulder at the neckline and drew a new line of the neckline. Also I added 2 cm at the waist, then drew a new line from the armhole down to the hemline. As I want the dress length right on my knee, I added 3 cm from the original pattern with 2 cm hem allowance and 1.5 cm seam allowance in all edges.
image source from BurdaStyle
I really enjoyed sewing this dress, it was an easy process because the dress came with three pattern pieces, front-back and pocket.
The process started by sew both shoulder right sides together followed by sew inseam pockets. Then I sew the dress sides very carefully so I don't sew the pockets.
After the pockets done, I sew the sleeves by folded to the wrong side 1.5 cm and topstitched around.
For the neckline, I folded the neckline fabric to the wrong side 1.5 cm and sew around with twin needle.
After all above done, I sew the hemline with twin needle as well. In this case I used 2 cm hem allowance.
The dress finished! But after I tried it, I felt something was missing. Honestly, the dress doesn't have a shape, it looks like I am wearing a potato bag :)
Then I decided to sew two pieces of tape 60 cm long x 2.5 cm wide with pointy end. I inserted the tape 16 cm in the top of the pocket and sew it. After that, I tied them in the back, as shown in the picture below. 
Well, the result is great! It does add the volume in the dress :)
After all, I really love this dress! It is very comfortable and perfect to wear in summer. Beside this dress, I already made three tops based on this pattern with a little change in each top. I will show you in the future post.
Okay, here are more pictures of the finished dress. Front, back, side, the closer look of the neckline and pocket :)



Happy Sewing!

Resource:
How To Sew Inseam Pocket from Warehouse Fabric Inc.

Comments

  1. Hana, we are both wearing our shift dresses! Your fabric for the win! It just looks so chic, but I know how comfortable it must be!

    Love the belt at the back! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a team :) It is very comfortable and easy to wear, I can not get enough of shift dress :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for a lovely comment, Sue :)

      Delete
  2. Just perfect - simple styles beautifully sewn, as yours are, always look good. And I love the setting - Old Taipa Village looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. Old Taipa village is looking great now, shops and restaurants are growing like mushroom :)

      Delete
  3. Hello dear Hana!
    This is a very nice dress. You look very beautiful.
    Have a happy weekend!
    LG Carolin

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely, the perfect easy to wear summer dress. You co-ordinate very well with the walls in Old Taipa too! Regards, Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trish, thank you so much :) It is perfect to wear in summer, especially I am living in the place with high humidity.

      Delete
  5. Hana, this is very pretty and suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely! and I like how you've photographed it against those lovely pink walls :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect little dress for your summer. I love the tie at the back and the neckline is just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Have a lovely day and happy sewing to you :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for lovely comment and having time to read :) Have a lovely day, Vesna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely practical dress you will wear over and over. This style so suits you also

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple yet stylish. This dress is very nice Hana and the tie belt at the back is a lovely detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty dress, and lovely photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty dress! It looks comfortable, easy to wear yet stylish. The tie in the back really gives the dress a pulled together 'look' and was a perfect solution. Beautiful setting! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I am enjoying your MMM outfit everyday. Have a great day and happy sewing!

      Delete
  13. Exquisitely professional thoughts. I merely hit upon this web site and desired to enunciate that I've definitely http://topassignmentwriters.com/
    delighted in reckoning your blog articles or blog posts. Rest assured I'll subsist pledging to your RSS and I wish you write-up after much more shortly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. Have a lovely day, Sara.

      Delete

Post a Comment