Finally I finished my three quarter coat and here I am wearing it but only to take pictures :) The weather is still hot outside and hope will getting cooler soon so I can wear my new coat.
I promised that I am going to show all my sewing process and in case you are missing the previous process, here is a link the part 1
After I have done the coat body and pockets, I sew the coat lining. I sew front trim to the front lining right sides together and sew the neck trim to the back lining right sides together. Press both pieces with iron. As shown in the pictures below,
After I had the lining pieces, I pin and sew the front to the back at the shoulder right sides together. Press with iron.
I attached the sleeve to the body right sides together. And then sew the side of the lining from the end of the sleeve down to the hemline. I did that for both sides. Here is the result,
After the coat lining done, I attached the lining to the body right sides together. And I found out that the lining was too tight for the body. Well, I made a mistake! I reduced both sides of the lining twice, so instead of reduced 5 cm I reduced 10 cm. Quick decision, I removed the sewing/thread at the sides of the lining body. Then I cut a strip of the fabric in the shape of long triangle and sew it to the edge of front and back lining. As shown in the pictures below and I did the same for the other side
I pin and sew the body and the lining right sides together, clip around the neck area and center front.
After that, I turned the coat inside out and work on the hem. I laid flat and pinned the coat 20 cm above the hem. Basting the hem 1.5 cm, as shown in the picture below in dark colour thread
Then I folded the hem 5 cm and pin along the hemline
After that, I hand sewn the hem allowance. I stitched very carefully the fashion fabric and the lining together and made sure the thread don't catch the outer fabric.
After I have done the hand sewn, I removed the basting and press the hem with iron. Here is the result,
I did the same for the sleeve hem with 4 cm sleeve allowance. Then I did the last work, sew the snap fasteners and buttons. I decided to sew the buttons because my fabric was gaping between the snaps. Done!
Here are the finished coat, front and back views with the details
And here are the closer look of the lining and the snap fasteners
And finally, more pictures of me wearing it. Front - back and inner views
Pattern: Burdastyle Three Quarter Coat 08/2014 # 102 size 36 with adjustment
Fabrics: 2.5 yards of rayon viscose crepe in light pink and 2 yards of brocade fabric in light cream
I think is enough for my today post, happy sewing and wish you all a lovely Sunday :)
|MAGAM Facebook group|