I have finished my floral dress and I will be wearing this dress on a very special occasion next month :) So, I decided to just show you the dress in the dress form for now. Then I will post pictures of me wearing it on that day.
Well, I started work on this dress in the end of May but I was stuck with the neckline. I didn't know exactly what I wanted the neckline to be and then after the dress hanging for so long in the dress form, I just decided to make the neckline exactly same as my previous dress. Problem solved!
Pattern and materials:
For the pattern, I used Burdastyle Vintage Modern Jamie Shift Dress size 34 with some modifications. You can check the detail here in my previous dress
For the materials - I used 2 yards of floral cotton, fusible interfacing, ready-made bias tape in orange color, invisible zipper, hook n eye and same color thread.
Most of the sewing process is exactly like my previous dress but this time the neckline finishes much cleaner and look smoother.
On my previous dress, I sew the bias tape on the neck facing and sew it again to the dress and the result is a little bit bulky. It's fine but I didn't like it so much. So, I tried another method - I basted the neck facing, pinned the bias tape on the outer neck facing and the dress at the same time. Then I sew it. The result is very good and I am happy with it :) I will show you what I did in the below post,
I sew the armhole facings, front and back right sides together. Then sew the neck facings front and back right sides together. As shown in the picture.
I clipped around the neckline, especially in the corner area I clipped three times just like W as shown in the picture. This method is very important to make the corner neckline done nicely. I hope you understand what I mean.
After that, I turned the facing to the outside. You can see result... it's done nicely :)
Then I basted around the neckline, as shown in the picture.
I pinned the bias tape around the outer neck facing and the dress at the same time, then carefully sew it. And then I removed the baste.
After that, I sew the armhole facing on the dress right sides together and turn it inside - sorry that I forgot to take a picture.
And the last part is sew the hook n eye, I pinned the back facing as shown in the picture below - hand sewn around it and stitch the hook n eye. Done!
And the last three pictures of the upper dress front, back and side views
A little note: as I didn't plan anything for July MAGAM Challenge, I decided to put this dress as my finished July garment :)
Happy sewing and have a wonderful Thursday!