Lace Long Sleeve Flowy Blouse

Image
I'm finally back to writing on this blog after being busy for two months, I still sew some small items and mend a few clothes but haven't sewn new clothes.  Until two days before Valentine's arrived, I felt like I had to sew a new blouse to wear to dinner. The blouse had to be in the shade of pink, so I checked my stash and found 2 yards of lace fabric in fuchsia that I don't remember when I bought it. After I had the fabric, I started making the pattern (based on my previous self-drafted blouse pattern) I modified the pattern into a flowy blouse. The pattern was simple, a round neckline, gathered front and back yokes and gathered sleeves with elastic bands. Here is the pattern that I drafted, And after the pattern was done, I cut the fabric as usual. The sewing process was fun and turned out to be easier than I imagined. I sewed the neckline front and back yokes and then attached them to the gathered bodices as shown below. After that, I sewed the shoulder lines togeth

Summer Outfit, V-Back Top and Shorts

Hello everyone..
As promised in my previous post, here is my new top that I made especially to wear with my orange shorts. The top has round front neckline, V-back, short sleeves, and loose fitting. In the end of my work, I have to make a tube top with straps because the top is transparent :)
Summer Top details
Material:
1.5 yards of jersey net in black colour and black thread

Pattern and modification:
I hacked the bodice pattern from Built By Wendy Dirndl dress size S.
I worked on the front bodice first by removed the dart. I slashed the dart and drew a straight line from the dart point down to the waist. And then drew a new waistline.
After that I worked on the back bodice by removed the dart and added 1.5 cm to the outer side. Then drew a new line of the side and waistline.
As I wanted a loose top, I slashed the front and back bodice at the center front and back to the middle of the armholes and added 1.5 cm.
Also I reduced the front neckline 2 cm at the shoulder and 1 cm at the center front. Then drew a new front neckline.
Reduced the back neckline 2 cm at the shoulder and 15 cm at the center back. then drew a new V-back.
I did the same thing on the sleeve, I slashed in both sides 1.5 cm. Then drew a new sleeve pattern.
Here is my drawing process
And here is my drawing for the top pattern after I lengthen both front and back bodices 16 cm and lengthen the sleeve 2.5 cm

The sewing process of this top is fine, I pin and sew them as usual. The only little bit tricky was sewing the neckline. The fabric was so slippery to work with. I was thinking to use neck band but I gave up, I just folded the neckline at the seam allowance 1 cm and sew it along using twin needle.
The sleeves and hem allowances was 2 cm, also sew them with twin needle.
Here are two pictures of the final top, front and back views,


For the tube top, I used my husband t-shirt that he doesn't use anymore.
I measured my waistline and added 7 cm. Then I made a rectangle shape and cut my fabric in two pieces (front and back). Sew the front and back, right sides together. Folded the upper part 1.5 cm, stitch along but left 2 cm at the center back to insert the elastic.
Insert the elastic ( I used 1 cm elastic). Sew both end of elastic together and closed the opening area.
To make the straps, I cut the remaining fabric. Folded right sides together, pin and sew.
Then sew the straps onto the bodices, front and back.
Here is the result,

Now, I want to show you The Shorts detail
I finished this shorts last month and it was a part of my Magam June, but I decided to publish the detail after I have the top to wear with it.

Material:
1.5 yards of orange linen from stash, it was a leftover of my previous project BurdaStyle Tie Skirt.
Fusible interfacing, normal zipper, hook n eye fastener, gingham fabric for pocket and threads

Pattern and modification:

I used BurdaStyle pattern, Velvet Shorts 08/2014 size 34.
I omitted the bottom fold. Added the shorts length 6 cm.
Added both sides 1.5 cm and added the waistband 3 cm.
Also, instead of using the button closer for the waist band, I used hook n eye fastener

The sewing process was ok. The instructions were clear to follow.
The inner pocket was using gingham fabric, a very light and soft cotton that's good to avoid bulky.
Here is my process of sewing the pocket,

After the pocket done, I pin and sew the shorts as usual. The tricky part was to sew the front fly but glad I managed to finish it nicely. Well, not perfect but I am happy with it :)
Then, I hem the shorts 3 cm.
Nothing more I can explain about my work on this shorts. I just want to show you the closer look of the front, back and the pocket views



And the last three pictures of me wearing my summer outfit, side - back and front views

 

As I mentioned in the beginning, this post is my mixing Magam June and July with themes " stashbuster" and "sew bookish".

Happy sewing!!

Comments

  1. Dear Hana!
    This is a nice summer outfit! I love the shorts. I guess I have to buy this pattern, too.
    Have a nice summer holiday!
    LG Carolin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Carolin. The shorts pattern is so lovely, the original pattern came with bottom fold. Have a nice summer holiday to you too :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely summer outfit! Good for you that your husband had a not worn shirt for your undershirt ;) I love your pattern hack design and the shorts are such a neat work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SaSa. I have some husband t-shirt ready to refashion :) I will do it slowly, maybe after summer holiday :)

      Delete
  3. Love your new summer outfit too! How clever to use one of your husband's shirts to self-draft a cami for underneath. Turned out perfect with your top. I really enjoy reading your construction details and seeing your drawings and how you explain them. I want to learn more about how to modify patterns, and always learn a lot from you. Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Learn to modify pattern is fun, muslin is perfect idea if you have a doubt :)
      Have a good weekend to you too :)

      Delete
  4. Great outfit! The colors work great together and I really like the v neckline at the back, I think that detail makes the top very special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice summer outfit. It was fun to read how you constructed the top(s) and the shorts. Thank you for sharing the instructions as I need to sew the same things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute.. I love the orange and black together.. such a cute summer outfit..Looks great on you.
    [smart idea making the tank top\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Orange is always go nicely with black :)

      Delete
  7. I just love this little outfit on you Hana- it's so sweet, bright and cheerful, you must feel wonderful in it. The shorts are lovely - they actually look beautifully made. And the top is gorgeous too - and the modesty camisole was a great use of an old tee shirt. It must be quite tricky working with a sheer net knit - turning under the neck was a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah Liz. Working on sheer fabric isn't easy, I have to use a lot of pin before sewing it :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful outfit. I love the V neckline at the back of the top and the orange and black combination is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shirt is wonderful! I love the transparency and the v-shaped neckline in the back is so beautiful.
    Also your pants are perfectly made and of a great colour and style! You did some gorgeous sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic outfit! I love the back of your shirt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous outfit. The top and shorts are great and the colours are perfect. I love your sketch book, I should do that instead of scribbling on scraps of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. Sketch book is fun to manage my sewing, I did also in the scraps of paper but pity that I always loose them :)

      Delete
  12. Such an elegant and breezy outfit for the summer. I love the fabric and colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely as always Hana and bright and breezy for summer. Loved the gingham lining on the fabulous shorts :)x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really cute summer outfit; I love both pieces! The orange shorts look beautifully tailored, and the black shirt is chic and elegant. Such lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fab outfit - that fly front looks pretty darn neat too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment