Saturday, September 28, 2013

Floral Peplum Top

Hello everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend with family and friends!
Here is my latest sewing project that I worked for so many days and I am very happy that the top turn out so well.

I am wearing my new peplum top

Pattern:
For the bodice, I used Burdastyle sweetheart dress 04/2013 size 34. And self-drafted peplum, I followed the techniques from burdastyle.com " how to draft a peplum"

Materials:
1.5 yards of floral silk crepe de chine from my stash and the left over fabric from this dress, silk satin in black color for neckline and armhole facing, lightweight fusible interfacing, invisible zipper and same color of thread. All the materials are from stash :-)

How I worked:
For the bodice, I didn't make any special fitting because I used the pattern before. So time saved :-)
For the peplum, I drafted the pattern according to the instructions from Burdastyle. It's very easy to follow and the result is great.

After I had all the fabric pieces, I started to work with the bodice front and back. I sew the front side panel to the center front. And sew the back side panel to the center back as well.
For the zipper, I did the same way as my sweetheart dress, I move the side zipper to the middle back zipper. I didn't like so much the side zipper, it feel not so comfortable on me.

I iron the fusible interfacing onto the neckline and armhole facing. Then I sew the  front facing onto the bodice front right sides together. Turn it inside out, press and iron it. I did the same way on the bodice back.
After that, I sew the front and back bodice at the shoulder right sides together and sew the facing at the shoulder together using hand stitching.

After I have done the method above, I attached the peplum front onto the bodice front right sides together. I did the same way for the back side. Then serge the raw edge using an overlocked machine.
I sew the top front and back right sides together. Sew the zipper in the middle back, press and iron it for smooth finished.
Then the last work is serge the peplum hem with rolled hemmed style. Done!

And here are more pictures of the peplum top,

 wrong side of the bodice front with facing


wrong side of the bodice back with facing and zipper

rolled hemmed style on the peplum hem


front side of the peplum top

the peplum top from the side
This floral peplum top is my second September project for style the stash sew a long. Please feel free to check out what others have made.
Wishing you all happy sewing and stash styling!

18 comments:

  1. How cute is that? This is a winner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Definitely a winning style on you ... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little top - it has worked so well - and silk is so right for a peplum - it will drape so nicely. It looks lovely with your purple drill skirt - which is what you planned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! This is my first attempt to sew a peplum and I was lucky that silk is the right fabric for it :)

      Delete
  4. I love it Hana! The peplum has all the right proportions and is a perfect match for your new skirt. Now, your stash must be getting really low by now....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belinda! I love it too so much. Yes, my stash is getting lower now :-)

      Delete
  5. So pretty! The print and the colours are really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, that top is so lovely! I've always wanted to sew with silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! Then you should starting now:)

      Delete
  7. Wow! How cute is this top!! Love the fabric used in it and love the fit of it on you. Happy week, dear Hana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words, dear Rosy! Happy week for you too :-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Hana. I will check out Burda's instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Sue! Good luck on your peplum :)

      Delete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...