Monday, July 1, 2013

Sweetheart Dress 04/2013

Hello everyone!
I finally managed to finish my latest dress and I am truly happy with it. I love the whole dress but my favorite is the dress bodice and I think I will make another dress based on it with different style of skirt.
I was supposed to work on this dress during weekend but I was busy with family activities, so only this morning I could finish it and take a pictures.

Here are the details of the dress,
Pattern:
This dress is my second project for Style The Stash Sew A Long, based on Burdastyle Sweetheart Dress 04/2013. I used size 34 for the dress bodice and size 38 for the skirt. I drew a new pattern for the bodice size 34 because the minimum size from the original pattern is 36. Then I have to adjust the bodice pattern to match with the skirt pattern ( I had a vary size between the bodice and the skirt).

Materials:
I used 2 yards of brocade fabric in green color, 2 yards of white cotton for muslin, light weight fusible interfacing, invisible zipper and same color of thread. All the materials are from my stash.


How I worked on this dress:
I made a muslin first and I found that I need to alter some areas for a better fit.
The dress front:
A: The center front is too big and gaping, so I have to reduce 1/2" down to B 1/4". Then I drew the new line from A-B-to the waist.
C: The center front is too low for my taste, so I have to add 2 cm.
D: The armhole is too slim, so I have to add 1.5 cm
The dress back:
I decided to insert the zipper on the middle back, I did not like so much the side zipper.
A: The back is too big and gaping, so I have to reduce 3/4" down to B 1/2" and to C 1/4". Then I drew a new line from A-B-C down to waist
D: I added 1.5 cm on the center back
E: I added 1.5 cm on the armhole
And here are my whole muslin,


After I have done my muslin, I worked on my dress by following all the instructions and some of self-taught. I don't have ribbon on my stash, so I decided to make a dress without it.
Here are more pictures of my dress,



 
Here are the pictures of the dress inside,


And here is how the back skirt vent looks like,

I hope you like it and happy sewing to you all!

18 comments:

  1. Great Looking Dress On U Hana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice dress Hana. You did a terrific job on your alterations. Sometimes we forget that we do have to a muslin first, before cutting into fabric. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      Making a muslin is the best way to avoid mistakes and throw away the beautiful fabric :-)

      Delete
  3. You are truly adorable in this dress Hana! I have nominated you for a Super Sweet Blogger award! http://creatinginthegap.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Margo! You are so sweet :-)

      Delete
  4. That is a fabulous dress & it fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Hana - and you have certainly shown people why a muslin is needed - and it has paid off with a dress that is perfect for you in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! It was very slow and patience project, but in the end I am very happy with it.

      Delete
  6. Nice dress Hana - I love the way you have shown the whole process, as others have commented it is very helpful to see this. I like that green colour on you and hope you have fun wearing the dress out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacquianne! Thank you so much. Green is one of my favorite color and hopefully I'd wear this dress on August :-)

      Delete
  7. Hana, I loved the dress when I saw it on the stash blog, but admire it even more now that I saw your detailed process. You are a meticulous seamstress. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words, Mary! I am glad that you like it:)

      Delete
  8. What a great dress. Fabulous job with all the muslin adjustments. I agree I don't much like side zips either. I love the shape and looks stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...