Lace Long Sleeve Flowy Blouse

Image
I'm finally back to writing on this blog after being busy for two months, I still sew some small items and mend a few clothes but haven't sewn new clothes.  Until two days before Valentine's arrived, I felt like I had to sew a new blouse to wear to dinner. The blouse had to be in the shade of pink, so I checked my stash and found 2 yards of lace fabric in fuchsia that I don't remember when I bought it. After I had the fabric, I started making the pattern (based on my previous self-drafted blouse pattern) I modified the pattern into a flowy blouse. The pattern was simple, a round neckline, gathered front and back yokes and gathered sleeves with elastic bands. Here is the pattern that I drafted, And after the pattern was done, I cut the fabric as usual. The sewing process was fun and turned out to be easier than I imagined. I sewed the neckline front and back yokes and then attached them to the gathered bodices as shown below. After that, I sewed the shoulder lines togeth

Short Sleeve Frank Button-Down Shirt


As promised from yesterday post, I'll continue documenting the making of Frank Button-Down Shirt. But let me tell you how I feel about this shirt, I am truly happy with it and so proud of myself that I can make something special for my husband. And definitely I'll make another shirt for him on the future.

And here's the continuations...
This step is how I worked on the collar, I followed step no 30-34. I pinned the collar pieces right sides together and stitch it. Then I cut the corners diagonally and turn the collar right side out. Press, iron it and topstitched around the edges, except for the open edge.


Then I pinned the collar bands onto the collar, right sides together.

I sew it along the curved edges of collar band.

Turn the collar band right side out, press and iron it.

I pinned the outer collar band onto the shirt neckline, right sides together. Sew it around the neckline.

Then I folded the seam allowance (1/2") of the inner collar band, pinned it into the neckline. You see here that the shirt is in between the two collar bands.

Sew it and topstitched around the collar band.

After I've done the method above, now I'll show you how I worked on the finished sleeve hemline and shirt hemline.
For the sleeve hemline - with wrong side of the shirt facing out, I folded sleeve piece 1/4", press it. Then I folded again about 1". Pinned and sew along the sleeve hemline.

For the shirt hemline - with wrong side facing out, I folded the bottom of the shirt 1/4", press it. Then I folded again about 1/4". Pinned and sew along the hemline.

Then the last work on the shirt, I sew the buttonholes and sew the buttons. Done!



And here is one more picture of my husband wearing the shirt. We went out for lunch at our friend restaurant O Santos Comida Portuguesa
 
.... more lovely picture of my son, Eduardo.
Happy Friday!

Previous post: sewing in progress: frank button-down shirt

Comments

  1. You have a very beautiful son, by the way. Anyway, button-down shirts are very tricky to pick especially for your man. Been looking for ways on how to make its collar pop up. Well, what you've posted is so helpful for us. Please continue sharing your ideas on how to alter some of our fashion staples. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, thanks for stopping by. Have a nice day and happy sewing for you too!

      Delete

Post a Comment