DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Square Neck Dress

Happy Friday friends, I finally finished my square neck dress and I like it. This dress was supposed to finish last month for my entry to #sewrecreatethelook challenge on Instagram but was delayed because of other things in life. Anyway, I decided to continue sewing my dress and hope to wear it soon. Also, I still have one more project from last month to finish (a bag pack), I will continue making it and then I will make the August plan.

The #sewrecreatethelook was a fun challenge on Instagram last month hosted by @jenlegg_teescreatives and @sosewdressmaking. My plan was to make a square neck dress, inspired by a dress that I found on Pinterest. I copied the neck design and sleeves but changed the circle skirt into a little flared knee-length skirt. My fabric choice was a cotton voile in tiny flower prints and lightweight white cotton for the lining. Both fabrics were from the local shop. 

The sewing process started with making the pattern, I used my basic dress sloper pattern and made the square neck, fluted sleeves and flared skirt. After I drafted the pattern pieces, I made a bodice muslin and adjusted the fit at the waistline. My muslin is shown in the picture below on the right side.
And then, I cut my fabric and the lining. 

I sewed the main fabric pieces and lining pieces separately. As shown below,

I sewed the body's main fabric and the lining pieces right sides together and clipped the square neck and curved area. Turned the pieces inside out and press them with the iron.
After that, I attached the skirt pieces to the bodices.
And then sewed the invisible zipper at the back dress.

I sewed the sleeves to the armholes, followed by sewing the sides of the dress. The last part was sewing the hemlines. I sewed the sleeve and hemline with the narrow rolled hem method.


It was fun to sew this dress and it will be a great addition to my summer wardrobe. I'm thinking to make another square neck dress but with a shift dress style. 
That's it for today, I hope to show you my backpack next week. Happy sewing ✂✂

Comments

  1. Hana, I just love this dress on you! It looks so much like the inspiration, but tweaked to fit you personally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment