DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

DIY Swimsuit


I wanted to make a simple swimsuit in black colour since last year and glad I finally did it. I used my self-drafted pattern (copied and modified from my rtw swimsuit) and polyester fabric in black from the local shop. 
I made two swimsuits last year, one with wrap style and another with v-neck style. Here is the link DIY Swimsuits.

For this black colour swimsuit, I used my v-neck swimsuit pattern as a base and modified the neckline, back side and shoulder. I made the scoop neckline, lowered the center back 4 cm and made the shoulder thinner.
The picture below shows the fabric pieces after I cut them, back side on the fold, front side on the fold, upper front piece on the fold, back tie (cut two pieces), some elastic. And also, I made the lining from the same fabric - front and back pieces same as the main swimsuit.

After I cut all the pieces, I worked on the upper front piece by stitching the sides where the pads inserted later and sewed the elastic at the bottom. Also marked the line to sew later together with the lining to insert the pads so they will stay in place.

Here is the look of the front lining after I sewed together with the upper piece, front side of the lining facing the wrong side of the upper piece. 
Also, I have to pull the elastic while sewing to get smooth finishing.

After that I sewed the front and back pieces right sides together at the shoulders. I did for both the main swimsuit and the lining. 
And then sewed the ties to insert at the back after this.

I laid the main swimsuit fabric and the lining right sides together, placed the ties in both sides of the lower back, pinned and stitched the front neckline and back. Clipped the curve area and flipped inside out. Top-stitched along the neckline and back using zig zag stitch from the sewing machine.

After the method above done, I sewed the middle bottom of the swimsuit front and back right sides together. I did for both the main fabric and the lining.
And then, I sewed the sides of the swimsuit right sides together using my overlocker machine.
I folded the seam allowances at the armholes and the bottom sides (the leg area) and top-stitched them using zig zag stitch from the sewing machine.
The last part was trimming the excess fabric and done.
Too bad I didn't take more photos of the full progress, I was sewing it at night and the light wasn't so good. 

And here are two photos of the finished swimsuit, I like the simple design and the fit is lovely. I used wooden beads for nice finishing the back ties. 


I managed to wear my swimsuit under my handmade kimono cover-up yesterday. It was a sunny day and we had fun swimming and relaxing at the local hotel.



This black colour swimsuit is my entry to an Instagram challenge #magamsewalong August hosted by Sue Stoney and Suzy Robert. This month is a holiday month, we don't have a special theme to follow, just make what we like or take a break.

Happy sewing ✂️🧵

Comments

Post a Comment