DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Ottobre Design Shirt


I made a shirt for my husband to wear at work, I started sewing the shirt last month and finished at the beginning of this month. It was slow progress but glad that it turned out as my plan.
For the pattern, I used Ottobre Design 07/2017 Men's shirt size 56. I was lucky I found this magazine on our last trip to Portugal. Well, I miss traveling and hope this pandemic will be over and we all can travel again.
The fabric I used for this shirt was cotton shirting in light pink from the local shop and stayed inside my stash for a while. So, I was happy that I finally made it into a shirt that my husband will wear.  

The original pattern was long sleeves shirt with two different types of pockets, one with flap pockets and another without flaps. But in this case, I changed the shape of the pocket and used one side only.
Also, I made it in short sleeves by cut the sleeve length above the elbow. I added collar stays too and lengthened the hem 7 cm.

I was more organized and took the picture of my materials to publish here in the blog 😄 From left to right: 
a. Ottobre Design magazine and pattern.
b. Light-weight fusible interfacing in off-white color for the front plackets and upper pocket.
c. Cotton shirting fabric in light pink.
d. Scissor, buttons (recycle from his rtw shirt), threads.
e. Medium-weight fusible interfacing for the collar and under collar.

I love Ottobre design pattern and their sizing. I didn't make a muslin for my husband's shirt but the first thing I did before cutting the fabric was laid the pattern pieces on top of his rtw shirt and I was surprised that the sizing matched nicely at the neckline, sides and armhole but the length was too short so I added 7 cm at the hemline.
Actually, my husband was mentioned to me the day I showed him the pattern (picture below) that I should add a few more centimeters at the hem. And he was right 😊

The sewing process was slow and I decided not to rush. I did it every day but only one-two hours in my free time. 
The picture below is the collage of my work on the collar. I changed the shape of the under collar into 5 pieces total, sewed and top-stitched them carefully and made sure the size was good enough for the collar stay to insert later.

After the collar was done, I worked on the collar stand (collar foot) and sewed both of them together. And then, carefully joined the collar and the neckline together. I used a lot of pins and also basted the collar to the neckline before I sew them.
So glad that after pinned and basted the result of the collar was neat as shown in the last picture of the collage below.
I top-stitched the armholes and sewed the buttonholes with automatic buttonholes. Also, I trimmed the hem a little to make it less curvy, finished with a narrow rolled hem.


Here is a closer look at the narrow rolled hem, I did it with the normal foot on my sewing machine and I think the result was okay. 


I was posting the final look of the shirt on March 4th in my Instagram for my entry to "Friendship February"  #magamsewalong  challenge hosted by Sue Stoney, Suzy Robert and Janyeraven. 
I'm glad that my husband loved it and wore it last week, I took the opportunity to take picture of him for a blog post 😀😍  

That's it for today, happy sewing friends. I'm off to the kitchen to bake some sweet buns for our snack today and I will be sewing a little too. Take care 💗

Comments

  1. The shirt is beautifully done! It is perfect for Spring, and looks good on your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa ❤ I hope to have more time to make another shirt for him to wear everyday 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment