DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Striped Shirt

I was planning to make this shirt since the day I bought the fabric last year and I'm glad that I finally made it. This shirt is my entry to Sew Your Wardrobe Basics, a challenge that I participated in Instagram hosted by Stefanie @seaofteal 
The February theme was "stripes" and it was a great opportunity to use my stripes fabric and sew the shirt that I planned for so long.

I posted the original plan on my Instagram but I changed my mind and skip the embroidery as I don't have enough time at the moment. Maybe, I'll be doing the embroidery later.


Fabric and pattern details,
Fabric: cotton shirting in stripes blue and white, a souvenir from our trip to Bangkok last year.
Pattern: modified Faitmain shirt dress May 2019-124 size 36. I shorten the length to my liking and made the high-low hem. The final shirt was 65 cm for front bodice and 72 cm for the back (measured from the middle of the shoulder line).

I started the process by making bias tape myself using the left-over stripes fabric, I posted the bias tape on my Instagram. And then, I used it to sew the raw edges of the seam allowances using the bias bound seams method.
Also, I used it to sew my placket instead of the usual sleeve placket. I did it to save my time and finished the shirt faster. And below pictures are the process of sewing the sleeve placket and cuff, easy, fast and neat finish 👍
 
The shirt collar sewed directly on the neckline and I love the smaller size collar. I finished the front placket with bias bound seams as well and used the darker colored buttons, I found the buttons in the flea market in Lisbon. 
Besides the front placket and sleeve placket, I did the bias bound seams in almost all seam allowances, the side slit, and the hemline. As shown below,




I'm satisfied with this shirt, the fit and my addition of the high-low hem just enough for my liking. Also, this shirt is a great basic that I'm sure I'll wear it more in my daily routine. 
The sizing from the pattern is great, I don't need adjust the upper sleeve, armhole, and waistline. I hope to find another edition of this magazine in the future.

That's it for today, happy sewing everyone 💗

Comments

  1. It is a great shirt. I love the bias binding throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hana,
    thabk you so much for joining me on this #SewYourWardrobeBasics journey! Your shirt looks absolutely amazing and is made to perfection. I love your shirt just as it is, maybe you should make a second one with embroidery, so you habe two striped shirts! :)
    I hope you had fun and you will join me in the upcoming month!
    Greetings from germany,
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, Stefanie. I love stripes and I'm thinking to make another one in the future.
      The challenge is fun and I'm choosing the pattern for March 😍🤗

      Delete
  3. Your sewing skills are so great Hana! I love the shirt in the stripes! Also, thank you for going over sewing the cuff. I was literally working on a cuff for my shirt over the weekend, and the visual you posted is so helpful. I love shirtmaking, and your shirt is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Vanessa and thank you for the lovely words. Good luck with your shirt 😍

      Delete
  4. Fabulous blouse Hana! You have done a lot of work with this!😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment