DIY V-neck Tiered Dress

Image
Hello, I made three dresses to wear on my trip to Bangkok during the Easter holiday and this dress is the first one I made. I will share another two in the next posts.  I started working on this dress two weeks before the trip and I'm glad I managed to finish it on time, as well as my other dresses.  This dress was fun and relaxing to sew because I made one before in a midi length, so this time I shortened the length until my knee and sewed it easily. For the fabric, I used a printed rayon from my stash and white cotton lining leftover from my previous make. For the pattern, I used my self-drafted pattern. At first, I didn't want to add the lining but I had to because the fabric was a bit transparent, the lining fabric wasn't enough and I connected the pieces to make the back skirt. Here is the look of the fabric after cutting and the skirt was pieces of a rectangle: the first tiers - front and back, the last tier on the fold ( I forgot to take the p

Ottobre Denim Pants


I finished the denim pants just before the end of the month, so glad!
I was planning to make these pants to wear with my Vivian Top. Both pants and top are using Ottobre patterns, I like the fit and the sizing suits my figure. Well, I can say that I love Ottobre pattern as much as I love Burdastyle 😍
The outfit is my entry to three challenges on Instagram:
#magamsewalong hosted by Sue of Fadanista ,  Helene and Suzy




Pattern: Ottobre family design 07/2017, Wide Leg and High Rise pants size 40. 
I adjusted the pattern by shortening the length at the hemline 8 cm (measurement included 2 cm hem allowance). Also, I decided to reduce 1.75 cm on both sides of the pants from the hem to the knee  because they were too flare for my liking.
For the instruction, I followed my self-taught and copied some from my previous denim pants because my pattern came in Spanish language and I don't want too loose time to translate 😑

For the fabric, I used denim fabric in a very dark blue from stash. Fabric posted on my Instagram.

Sewing progress was slow because I don't have too much time to sew but glad that an hour or two per day is enough to make me happy and created a lovely garment to wear in my daily life.

As usual, it started with tracing the pattern and cut the fabric. I worked with front pants, I pinned and sewed the side pockets, coin pocket and sewed the front fly zipper. I was lucky that I had one shorter denim zipper in my stash, so I don't need to buy new.

And then, I worked with back pockets. I added my personal touch on the pocket design and I changed the U shape to a little pointy shape.
I pinned and sewed the pockets on the backside of the pants.
But before that, I sewed the back yoke to the back piece. Joined and sewed the back pants right sides together and top-stitched it.

I sewed the front and back pieces together and then working on the waistband.
I sewed the front and back waistband pieces right sides together (two pieces). After that attached to the pants.

I sewed the belt loops on the waistband and sewed the buttonhole, I reused husband suit's button that he doesn't use.

I tried the pants first before I hemmed and as you see below that the pants were too flare at the bottom. I didn't like it and decided to reduce it.
I reduced 1.75 cm from the hemline and made a new line up to the knee. As shown below,

In the last part, I sewed the hem allowance 2 cm. Done!
Here is the whole look of the pants front and back views.

The closer look of the front side at the front fly zipper.

The front side (outer and inner) and backside. I love the pocket design.

I felt so good wearing the whole outfit made by me, they will be a great addition to my handmade wardrobe and for sure garments that I wear every day.




That's it for today and I'll be organizing my plan for next month. I'd love to make another Ottobre top, making a shirt for husband and son, also knitting a simple neck warmer.

Happy sewing 💗

Comments

  1. These jeans are perfect for you! Great fit and your sewing is just fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jeans Hana! I too like the back pocket design, and it looks great with the top. I am glad you are enjoying Ottobre patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa. I love to put my own design on jeans pockets, so much fun. I'll be sewing another Ottobre patterns 🙂

      Delete
  3. Your jeans turned out great! I love the Ottobre jeans pattern and since my jeans didn't turn out as I had hope, I'll try an Ottobre pattern next!
    Thank you for joining me on #sewyourwardrobebasics 😊
    Sincerely
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for lovely comment and hosting the challenge. Hope you find the perfect Ottobre pattern for your next jeans 💕

      Delete

Post a Comment