Lace Long Sleeve Flowy Blouse

Image
I'm finally back to writing on this blog after being busy for two months, I still sew some small items and mend a few clothes but haven't sewn new clothes.  Until two days before Valentine's arrived, I felt like I had to sew a new blouse to wear to dinner. The blouse had to be in the shade of pink, so I checked my stash and found 2 yards of lace fabric in fuchsia that I don't remember when I bought it. After I had the fabric, I started making the pattern (based on my previous self-drafted blouse pattern) I modified the pattern into a flowy blouse. The pattern was simple, a round neckline, gathered front and back yokes and gathered sleeves with elastic bands. Here is the pattern that I drafted, And after the pattern was done, I cut the fabric as usual. The sewing process was fun and turned out to be easier than I imagined. I sewed the neckline front and back yokes and then attached them to the gathered bodices as shown below. After that, I sewed the shoulder lines togeth

V-neck Shift Dress with Ruffled Cuffs

Hello,
Time flies so fast and can not believe that we are in May. I am participating Me-Made-May 2017 and this is my fifth year. And especially for day 1, I am wearing my brand new shift dress that I made last month for MAGAM April with the theme "Sew Anything".
Picture below taken this morning in the Garden of Flower City, I like to visit this garden from time to time to enjoy some flowers and fishes. Sorry for the wrinkle at the front dress, cotton fabric is so easy to wrinkle, especially after sitting a while inside the car. Anyway, nobody cares 😁



For the fabric, I used floral Korean cotton that I bought during my visit to Seoul last year. I had four meters and the leftover fabric is enough to make one more dress.
And for the pattern, I used Japanese sewing book "Casual Sweet Clothes" by Noriko Sasahara. Pattern H "V-neck Shift Dress with Ruffle Cuffs" size S.

The sewing process was enjoyable, especially after almost three weeks without touching my sewing machine. We were busy with moving house and glad that we finally settled in.

Well, about the dress. I chose size S and started to work with it by trace the pattern and cut directly to the fashion fabric. I was brave enough not to make muslin as I always did in my previous garments.
After I sew all pieces together except the ruffles and tried the dress, I found out that the neckline was too big, the sides were too loose, the sleeves and the dress length was too long.
So I did a very easy solution on the neckline, I just pin and sew the CF 1.5 cm in a shape like dart until 5 cm on top of my navel.
I reduced both sides of the dress 1.5 cm, started under the armhole down to the hem.
Also, reduced the sleeves length 7 cm before I sew the ruffle cuffs and reduced the dress length 10 cm. Finished with blind hem 2.5 cm

The only tricky part was to attach the ruffle cuffs. I gathered them with hand sewing first then sew cuffs to the sleeves.
And also, almost forget to mention that I changed the exposed zipper to invisible zipper. I prefer invisible zipper more for this type of fabric. The fabric texture is soft and drape nicely, I fear that exposed zipper will be to heavy.

Here is some of the process, hope you can spot the front dart. And I don't think people notice the mistake 😁 It looks like design addition on the dress.

As usual, more pictures on me. Front, side, back views and closer look of the ruffle cuffs.



I really love the final sleeves, the ruffle cuffs are so cute and girly 💗

And here is last picture of the dress on Ellie. I think one dress based on this pattern is not enough so I want to make one more with round neckline and short sleeves. I will see...

Happy Sewing everyone! Hope to see you in Me Made May 2017. I am off to reading your blog and looking forward to see your MAGAM May garments.

Love,

Hana @velvetribbon_sew

Comments

  1. Your dress is so pretty. I love the colorful floral fabric. And the fitting adjustments you made were just right because the dress fits you quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The girly ruffle sleeves are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa. Love the girly ruffles too 😊

      Delete
  3. Hana, I absolutely love this dress. The ruffle sleeves are so cute.. looks great on you. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet little dress Hana! Love the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is lovely and the sleeves are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty Dress. Love the sleeve detail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty dress, Hana. You fixed the fit adjustments very cleverly and the sleeves are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely lady. Love the sleeves very much 😊

      Delete
  8. A very pretty dress, it is a go anywhere and do Anything sort of dress. I agree, an invisible zip just works with the overall feminine feel of this dress. Love your sleeves. I am glad you have settled down again in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely and on trend dress! Has a very vintage feel to it. I much prefer invisible zippers to exposed zippers myself. I am always worried that trends like exposed zipper will limit the lifetime of a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so feminine and beautiful. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment