Lace Long Sleeve Flowy Blouse

Image
I'm finally back to writing on this blog after being busy for two months, I still sew some small items and mend a few clothes but haven't sewn new clothes.  Until two days before Valentine's arrived, I felt like I had to sew a new blouse to wear to dinner. The blouse had to be in the shade of pink, so I checked my stash and found 2 yards of lace fabric in fuchsia that I don't remember when I bought it. After I had the fabric, I started making the pattern (based on my previous self-drafted blouse pattern) I modified the pattern into a flowy blouse. The pattern was simple, a round neckline, gathered front and back yokes and gathered sleeves with elastic bands. Here is the pattern that I drafted, And after the pattern was done, I cut the fabric as usual. The sewing process was fun and turned out to be easier than I imagined. I sewed the neckline front and back yokes and then attached them to the gathered bodices as shown below. After that, I sewed the shoulder lines togeth

Sew Merry May, Tunic Dress

Hello,
I finished MAGAM sew along May dress with theme "Sew Merry May" in the middle of the month and so glad that I recovered the dress and it turned out so good. You can see how happy I was, wearing me-made dress for mmmay day 17. The print truly made me happy and the black piping match perfectly with yellow 😊


Pattern: I used Burdastyle Tunic Dress 04/2017 size 36. I omitted the sleeves and finished the armholes with black piping the same as for the front and back panels but I didn't use cord as I did for the two plackets.
For the fabric, I used 2 yards of printed cotton that I bought in Seoul, South Korea last year. Other materials I need for this dress were same colour of yarns, fusible interfacing, me-made black bias tape and cord for piping.
The sewing process was taking longer than I expected because I have to remove the finished dress again because the neckline was too high for my liking and so glad I managed to remove all the stitches without ruin the dress.
After that, I lowered the neckline 1.5 cm and drew new line of front and back neckline but the slit remain the same.
I also decided to choose sleeveless because summer in my place is really hot and humid. So, easy and airy garments are a must 😊
The rest of the process was enjoyable, except sewing and attaching the cord piping in between panel and dress body. But glad that I survived, here is the look of the plackets and piping, right and wrong side.
The front slit is lovely and fits nicely on me. I fused the fusible interfacing in the wrong side of panels as Burda suggested, sew the two pieces right sides together, carefully trim the curve areas and then turned inside out. I did that for both front and back panels. Then sew the front and back panels together.
After that, I sew the front and back dress at the shoulder right sides together then sew the piping with cord in the seam allowances ( I did the opposite of Burda suggested, it said attach the piping and cord on the panel but it doesn't work for me). So, I pin the panel onto the bodice right sides together, the piping cord should be in between, and carefully sew them using piping foot. Clip both front and back corner, turned inside out and trimmed the excess fabric using an overlocker machine.
The armholes finished with black piping as well but I didn't use cord.
That's all the process, the hem finished with blind hem stitch. The only thing I'd love to add if one day I make this dress again is inseam pockets.
And here is the last picture of the back side of the dress, I couldn't have straight picture because it was windy.
Besides, I posted this dress on MAGAM sew along - facebook I also posted on Instagram with hashtag #magamsewalong

Thank you for reading, wishing you all a lovely day/evening and happy sewing!
Love,

Hana @velvetribbon_sew

Comments

  1. I am surprised at how much the piping adds to the dress. Such a good idea and such a very sweet dress. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! I need to take another look at this pattern, especially now you've shown me I could o it the sleeves. Really pretty summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Nancy. I like to omit the sleeves of any pattern when making summer garments 😊

      Delete
  3. This is such a pretty dress that screams summer, lol! I love the piping detail! I have not done piping yet, but look forward to attempting it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vanessa. Piping with cord is little tricky for me, but the one without cord is easier 😊

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dress, Hana. The black piping on the yellow is really striking and highlights the panel feature. You make such lovely dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sweet words, Kathy. The reason why I want to sew this dress was the piping 😊

      Delete
  5. Love this yellow tunic! Looks fab on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hana, I love this cheerful and very Merry dress. It really is so pretty, and going to be such fun to wear as your weather warms up. Well done on sorting out the high neck problem - always such a nuisance having to do this sort of thing. Well worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely dress Hana. The piping really elevates it into something special. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great result! It looks lovely on you. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dress and the piping really adds interest. I love the cheerful yellow color which looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice pattern! I really likely how you emphasized those interesting seam lines and the fabric you chose looks great. The height if the neckline now is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katharina. Glad that the neckline is fine now 😊

      Delete
  11. The piping really adds a nice style to the dress. It was worth all the time you spent on it - it's so beautiful. Black and yellow go very well together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment