In Progress : Light Pink Coat Part 1
I am working on my BurdaStyle coat for MAGAM October with the theme "Sew the U.F.O". I traced the pattern and pre-washed the fabrics last year but in the end I couldn't make it. So, it is a lovely feeling that this time I am working on it and hopefully I can wear when the weather isn't too cool :)
BurdaStyle Three Quarter Sleeve Coat 08/2014 size 36. The coat has boxy style, no collar, 3/4 sleeves and oversize patch pockets. I omitted the crease bottom (piece no 3) and instead of two pieces back coat, I made it on the fold.
Also, I am not so sure how the boxy coat with oversize patch pockets will fit my petite frame. We will see and I hope I can make it work :)
2.5 yards of rayon viscose crepe fabric in light pink colour for the coat body and 2 yards of brocade fabric in light cream for the lining, fusible interfacing, four snap buttons (fasteners) and threads.
Before I cut the fabric, I laid the pattern pieces on the table and I saw very clear that the coat will be very boxy and too long for me. So, I reduced the body and sleeves length 8 cm. I will reduce the both sides of the body after I sew the coat later.
The first thing I did was fused the fusible interfacing on the front and back neck lining.
After that I sew the darts, as shown below.
After I sewn the darts, I worked in the back coat by sewn the shoulder pieces onto the coat body. Here is the picture,
Then sew the front and back coat right sides together. As shown below, wrong and right sides of the coat.
After I set the body, I worked on the sleeve by sewn the sleeve center right sides together.
Then attached the sleeve on the body right sides together, as shown below
After I attached the sleeve, I sew the body coat at the side starting from the end of the sleeve to the hemline.
Well, after I sewn both sides of the coat, I tried it and I saw that the coat is still too big for me. So, I just reduced both sides of the coat 5 cm - as shown in the hand sewn below.
And here is the result after I reduced both sides of the body. It looks more slimmer at the bottom.
After the method above done, I prepared the pockets. As I don't have enough fabric, I used the brocade fabric as the pockets lining.
Then I pinned and basted the pockets on the coat body, as shown in below
I removed the baste after sewn the pockets using the sewing machine. Hope you can see the detail
And here is the full look of my work today, hope I have time to sew the lining and attach it to the body during the weekend :)