I am very happy that I managed to finish my May project for Make A Garment A Month Challenge and already wore it last Thursday for MMM day 29 - as shown on the picture above :)
It took so long to finish this trousers because I got some kind of laziness, I just want to sew something easy this moment. So, making trousers was really a wrong decision. But anyway, I am so glad that I've done it before the end of the month :)
For the pattern: I used Burdastyle Bootcut Trousers 10/2013#126 A size 38 with some adjustments.
And for the materials: I used 2 yards of stretch twill woven cotton in grey color, polka dots cotton for integrated pocket, fusible interfacing for the waistband, hook n eye, snap fastener, zipper and same color of thread.
Sewing process :
I mentioned on my last post that I will use size 36 but in the end I used size 38.
I made muslin first for better result and better fitting trousers ( as in the past I am not really sure how many pants muslin end up to the trash without any good result ).
I used my printed cotton from stash for the muslin, but this time I just make it until the top of my ankle. My muslin included side hips yoke with integrated pocket piece but without pocket pieces. I also added a waistband on the muslin. Here is the result,
I mark my muslin with orange color with a-b and c, that to show you some area that I need to make some fitting. I am not an expert on pants making but I'd love to show you how I worked on fitting.
- a - The waist area is too high for my taste, so I reduced it 2 cm. I measured 4 cm from upper trousers. I did the same way for all pieces, front-back and side hip yoke.
- b - As you can see the middle front of my muslin look bulky, so I added the dart with 1.5 cm with 10 cm length.
- c - The muslin seem too big on the bottom, so I have to reduced 2 cm in both sides - in front and the back. It starting from knee area down to the hem.
After all the adjustments, here is the result of my muslin. I think it look better than the first one :)
After my muslin done, I worked on the trousers according to the instructions. The only conclusion is inserting the zip slit, but I am safe because Sarah Liz posted an easy way on inserting zip slit last time. You can pop over her blog post here.
Well, I am not going to explain more about how I worked on the trousers. It was a tricky and boring project to make. But in the end of my work, I can smile and I say to myself that I did a nice work and I will wear this trousers more often for everyday wear :)
Here are more pictures of me wearing the trousers with my cowl top,
And the last picture of the details - trousers front with zipper, hook n eye and snap fastener - the integrated pocket with polka dots fabric - and the trousers inside, front view with zip slit detail.