Skip to main content

DIY Patchwork Dress (Scrap Buster)

Hi there, I finally finished the patchwork dress that I was sewing slowly since April. I'm so relieved and happy with how the dress turned out. The dress has a simple style, round neckline with slit, short sleeves, knee length, zipper at the back and full body lining. Simple everyday dress but the happy colors made it special 😍

Back in April, I cut these square shape of fabric 13 cm x 13 cm and sew them together and overlocked the raw edges to avoid fraying.

And I got two pieces of fabrics more than enough to make a short sleeve dress.


And cut the fabric, I used Faitmain shirt dress pattern May 2019 as a base, omitted the collar, made a round neckline finished with front slit. And In the end, I need to add body lining because the stitching of the patchwork a bit uncomfortable against the skin. 
The process wasn't difficult but a lot of patient with sewing the patchwork pieces and sewing the lining to the body. I sew the lining first and then the main dress including the zipper at the center back.
And attach the lining to the main dress, pin and sew the neckline. Clip the curve space after sewing the neckline. 
I make the front slit after that, by drafting a V shape at the center front as the measurement below,
Sew the slit and turn it inside out.
I work on the back dress after that, pinning the lining to the zipper line both sides and hand sewing. 

I attach the sleeve to the armhole, both sides. Sew the sleeve hems 1.5 cm and hemline 2 cm. The last part, sewing the lining hem with narrow hem stitch and happy with the neat result 😊

And the dress is done! And below are the dress details, inner dress, front, side and back views.
And in case you want to watch the making of video along with my daily sewing life, feel free to visit my YouTube channel, link here  (DIY Patchwork Dress, Nature Walk and Our Visit To Zhuhai, China.









Thank you for stopping by and happy sewing 💗

Comments