Batik Dress With Cropped Lace Jacket

We were attending a gender reveal and birthday party last Saturday and the theme was to wear a kebaya outfit, pink and blue colors. I went with pink because I think my friend will have a baby girl and I was right. We are all very happy for her and her husband. Such a happy occasion 💗

After a few days of thinking and planning, I decided to wear an a-line batik dress with a kebaya over it. I drafted the original style kebaya pattern from Indonesia with front plackets and a long pointy hem but unlucky for me, the style of the original kebaya will not be good with my a-line dress. So, I shortened the length of the kebaya pattern, I marked it 3 cm below my waistline, and made a new line of the hemline.
And for my husband, I made a striped shirt using the Ottobre Design pattern 07/2017 and for the fabric, I was happy to find a nice shade of maroon color with a little hint of dark pink striped cotton blend fabric in the local shop. 
More photos of my husband's shirt are on my IG, the link here 

I really love this black with a pink floral cotton batik fabric and I'm happy that I can make a dress out of it. The lace fabric was from my stash, 1 meter only and I'm glad it was enough for a cropped jacket. 

The dress pattern is self-drafted, based on my basic a-line dress pattern and I changed the neckline into a diamond style. The dress is fully lined with silk satin in brown color from my stash with the upper parts using the batik fabric, as shown below.
After I sewed all the darts, I attached the linings to the dress's front and back. Started sewing the neckline and then the armhole, I left 3 cm open at the upper armhole to make the turning process easy.
After I had all pieces ready, I sewed the both front and back shoulders together and then, hand-sewn the opening area at the armhole.
After I'm done with the shoulders, I sewed the invisible zipper at the center back of the batik fabric first, and then, I pinned the lining together at the zipper and carefully hand-sewing it. The rest was done with the sewing machine.
After I'm done with the zipper, I sewed both sides of the dress, and then the last part was sewing the hemlines (on the lining and on the dress).
I did the dress in total for two days and I'm happy with the result. 







The cropped jacket was easy and fast to sew and I did it in one day. I'm making another version of the jacket at the moment and I will be sharing the details when I'm done.


I think that is more than enough for today, hope I can finish my other projects and share them here before the end of the month. Happy sewing and thank you for stopping by 💗

Comments