October Makes


October was a good month for me, I finally managed to draft my basic pants pattern and made two pairs to wear daily. Also, I made a new t-shirt in red color, refashioned my dress that I don't like into a skirt and altered a few old makes (denim pants and long sleeves dress) and rtw swimsuit. I posted them all on my Instagram, here is the link in case you are interested to see them. 

For today, I'm going to show you the journey of making my own pants. I was supposed to make these pants in September for my entry to #sewyourwardrobebasics challenge but I was so busy and couldn't make them on time.
And as the October theme was knit, I decided to make a t-shirt to wear with my loose pants. I was happy that I completed the two garments and wore the outfit last week. 

The progress of making the pants started with drafting the pattern, I followed the tutorial from an Indonesian sewist on Youtube Nina Modes.
Here is the look of my basic pants pattern, back and front pieces.

After I drafted the pattern, I decided to make a muslin and then a wearable muslin as shown below. I used cotton plaid fabric from my stash. I like the result after I adjusted the fit around the waistline to the knee. These pants are finished with an invisible zipper at the center front and a 3 cm wide waistband.
I was happy with my wearable muslin and decided to make real pants using a beige color cotton blend from my stash. 
I added pockets and a fly-front zipper. The beige pants result is ok but I'd love to fix the bulk at the knee area. 
In the picture below, I was wearing the pants with my yellow blouse, the blouse pattern was from Simplicity.
After the beige pants were finished, I made the loose pants using medium crepe blend fabric in a very dark blue that I bought recently. For these loose pants, I sewed the invisible zipper at the center back, a waistband (4 cm) finished with elastic inserted inside. No pockets because I don't have too much time to sew. But I'd love to add pockets next time I make these pants again.

Front view.

Back view, the waistband is finished with snap buttons. 



I was wearing the pants with a me-made silk blouse last week. The silk blouse pattern was Burdastyle and I posted it in my previous post.
I love the fit and they are easy to wear. 


The last post of today is my self-drafted red knit t-shirt. I used knit cotton fabric from my stash. I copied my basic t-shirt pattern, changed it into a v-neckline and added a tie hem. Also, shortened the t-shirt length until 3 cm below the belly button. The tie hem was 10 cm wide (folded in two) x 98 cm long. The v-neckline finished with the band and top-stitched.





I was wearing loose pants with a red t-shirt last week and I think they look nice together.

These two garments are my entry to #sewyourwardrobebasics challenge hosted by Stefanie Sea Of Teal
The red t-shirt is my entry to October challenge with the theme "knit" and I made the red t-shirt using knit cotton fabric.
The loose pants are my super late entry to September garment with the theme ''trousers".
Thank you for hosting, Stef. 😍

Comments