My Image M1766 Coat
Hello fellow sewists,
I made a new coat and this is my first post of the year after a long absence. But before I write more, I want to wish you a Happy New Year, may 2018 be filled with happiness, love, health, prosperity and many sewing time to come.
I have been sewing and knitting lately but no blog post, I was thinking to make one post about all my makes but then I gave up due busy time. But you can see all the photos on my Instagram if you are interested.
About the coat, this garment is my entry for #magamsewalong January with the theme "Join In". To fit on the theme, I decided to make a garment that I really need at the moment and using stash fabric instead of buy the new one. But unluckily I don't have matching colour silk for the lining. I have black, three different blues, grey and white but no purple 😥 So I went to buy 4 yards of deep purple silk in the local shop that's enough to make two garments.
The main fabric of this coat is 2 yards of very deep purple colour wool from stash that I bought on sale some years back. As my fabric isn't enough to make a long coat, I decided to make whatever length can be for 2 yards fabric and it goes until below my hips. Which I think suits me better than the long one.
Other than the fabrics, I also needed thread, fusible interfacing, wooden buttons and snap buttons that they are all from stash.
Pattern I used: My Image Sewing Pattern Magazine #15 - M1766 Coat size 36. I was a little bit confused with the pattern detail, picture shows the coat has patch pockets but the pattern came with inseam pockets. You can see picture below but anyway, I decided to sew welt pockets 😁
The sewing process was enjoyable and the instructions from the magazine was easy to follow. Besides shorten the length, I changed the pockets as I mentioned above and changed the buttonholes to snap buttons with wooden buttons as decoration. I like the result and they are more practical.
About the welt pockets, I was searching so many tutorials on Pinterest and found such an easy to follow with step by step pictures from See Kate Sew and these are few details of my process...
I used so many pins on sewing the sleeve, I usually baste with hand before sewing but I wanted to try pin and love how fast was the process compare with basting. The sleeve and hem also done by sewing machine with a little hand sewing in the hole where I pull the hem in and out.
After all, I like the final coat and will use this pattern again when I want to make another coat or even better I would like to modify the style.
I mentioned in my IG in the beginning of the month that I wanted to make a muslin first before the real coat but I gave up. I just measured the pattern and calculated according to my previous pattern fitting. Also added 1 cm bigger seam, sleeve and hem allowances for easy but in the end I have to trim it to the original allowances.
The only one thing I want to reduce is the shoulder length, I think it is 1.5 cm longer than my liking. But anyway, I don't want to add dart or redo the coat. I will be okay with it.
I was wearing my new coat with Plantain Deer and Doe t-shirt in grey and latest jeans in black pattern modified from Burdastyle straight pants 10/2013.
That's it for today post and hope I will be back to my routine to write a blog post at least once a month. Also, my special thank you to Sarah Liz Sew Style for organising this monthly challenge - magamsewalong again this year and all of you my sewing friends in both Blogger and Instagram for your comment, company and support 💗💗