I made this sweatshirt especially to participate in Share In Style. But I am late again.. :( I supposed to publish it on Monday but I was so busy.
Share In Style theme for 16th March was "yellow" and I immediately think about my yellow knit fabric inside my stash that waiting for me to sew.
After looking for the right garment and pattern, I decided to make a basic wear which I need more to fill my wardrobe.
And for the pattern, I decided to use BurdaStyle but I skip the color block because I couldn't find the right fabric combination.
BurdaStyle Boatneck Sweatshirt 09/2014#114a size 34. I have to grade down the pattern to size 34 because the minimum size of original pattern is 36. With the size of sleeve bands 17 cm length x 12 cm width - the final result 6 cm width of sleeve bands. And hem band 90 cm long x 12 cm width - the final result 6 cm width of hem band.
|source from BurdaStyle|
2 yards of knit cotton in yellow color
This is another easy project to make, my work started from sew the front and back sweatshirt at the shoulder right sides together. Then pin and sew both sides of the sweatshirt body right sides together. After that pin and sew the sleeves right sides together and attached them to the armholes.
After the method above done, I tried the sweatshirt and it was too big at the sleeves and armholes. Also a little bit long at the sleeves and hem.
Then I reduced the amount of the sleeve 2.5 cm in both sides and created a new line down to the waist.
Reduced the length of the sleeves 2.5 cm and the hem 5 cm.
After my work on reducing the amount of the sleeves and hem done, I change my sewing machine needle from blue point needle to twin needle. Set up the threads and sew the neckline, sleeve bands and hem band.
The only tricky part was sew the bands. The picture below show you what I did on the sleeve band. Firstly, I fold the band wrong side together, divine the size in four and marked each of them. I did the same way on the sleeve too.
After that, I attached the band to the sleeve and matched the pins. Then sew it using twin needle. I pull the fabric in between sewing them.
The pictures below show you the result of the sweatshirt, front and back views. And wrong side of front view which you can see the detail of my work on the bands.
And I did an extra work on the sweatshirt, I sew bra straps holders in both shoulders. I remember that one of my sewing friend Ellen from BurdaStyle community did this in one of her garment but I think she used elastic.
After searching in some other blogs, I found an easy tutorial how to do it. You can watch this video for the detail, Sally Ann : how to sew a bra strap holder
Here is one of my bra strap holder, I am very happy with the result and it is really a great way to avoid bra strap from showing.
And here are more pictures of me wearing my new sweatshirt, front - side and back views