Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Long Vest - Refashioned From Oversize Coat.

Hello fellow sewists, showing you the refashioned garment for my entry to "Frumpy to Fabulous" February - #magamsewalong challenge. Saddly Sarah Liz is no longer hosting the challenge after some years supporting us to make something we really need. But glad that #magamsewalong will continue and we have three lovely ladies hosting the challenge (SueHelene and Suzy) 💗

February was a short month and I had limited time to sew, only in 25th I decided that I should refashion my oversize coat into a vest to participate the challenge. Hoping that I will wear the vest more often.
I made the coat in January 2017, pattern  Burdastyle Oversize Coat 08/2014 using wool blend in greyish green colour with silk lining. It was a lot of work, especially to sew the lapels and lining - detail here. But in the end, I don't wear this coat often. It was too long and unpractical, also don't look good in my petite figure. 
My vest inspiration: Olivia Palermo, picture credited to Style Bistro.
The process of refashion started with cut the sleeves, shorten the length, removed in-seam pockets and back vent which in the end I found a big hole at the lining after back vent removed 😃 I have to cover the lining with the same fabric from the sleeve and glad it was in the back and no one will notice.
I was thinking to finish the armhole with hand-sewn the wool and lining together but it wasn't looking good. Then I used bias tape band from stash in almost same colour, pinned and sewed right sides together and hand-sewn to the lining fabric. Love the final armhole, even the hole was too big for my liking but I will be okay as I will wear this vest over t-shirt.
Here is the closer look of the back side where I removed the vent. I sewed the center back until the hem and cut the leftover wool fabric. Pressed with iron but still can see the marking of the previous vent 😕
And here is the look of the lining after the hole (from removed vent) covered with the same fabric. It looks tidy and nobody noticed except me 😄
I added the patch pockets with flaps, I used the fabrics from the sleeves. I changed the buttons and snaps to smaller size compared with the original coat and decided to put three rows instead of two.

Also, I raised the finished lapels because the previous one looks too low and don't suit me.



That's it for today, happy weekend and happy sewing to you all 💗

6 comments:

  1. You did a great job with turning this coat into a long vest.

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic Hana. You are right, the first coat was just too mannish for you - that look can work on some people, but not you. This is much better and more practical for everyday wear. I love it, and the patch pockets. Thanks for being such a wonderful sewer for The Make a Garment a Month Challenge - it will be fun seeing what Sue, Suzy and Helene choose each month for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah Liz ❤❤ I look forward to seeing everyone's makes this month and will post my plan for Mad March tomorrow on IG 💕

      Delete
  3. Beautiful insides and finishing! I can see the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa, I'd love to make another vest with proper armhole 😊💕

      Delete