I finally finished the wearable muslin for MAGAM Joyful June, Sweetheart dress :) The pattern is based on BurdaStyle Vintage Modern Elizabeth Gathered-waist Dress size 34, I modified the bodice at the neckline and armhole. And for the fabric, I used cotton voile that already stayed inside my stash for a while.
Before I write more about the challenge of making this dress, let's take a look of the final dress that I wore this morning. I went out with husband and son visited Leal Senado, then walked around Sao Domingos market.
I always enjoyed flat sketch and I made this one especially for the Sweetheart Dress.
I mentioned before that this dress is based on BurdaStyle Vintage Modern Elizabeth Gathered-waist Dress size 34. I modified the front and back bodices to a Sweetheart neckline and used the skirt as the original pattern had.
My work started with front bodice, I measured the dart center line 8.5 cm above the apex and drew using the French curve to the CF in the shape of half heart, and then drew a line of neckline.
For the armhole, I reduced the shoulder line 6.5 cm and drew a new line of armhole.
I did the same for the back bodice, I measured the dart center line 8.5 cm above the apex and drew a new line of the back neckline in a square shape. Also reduced the shoulder line 6.5 cm and drew a new line of armhole.
The front and back darts is exactly same as the original pattern.
I also made the facings and fused them with fusible interfacing.
I like sewing this dress, especially the fabric was so easy to work with. I sewed the darts and attached the front and back bodices right sides together at the shoulder. Then prepared my skirt by gather them before attach to the bodice.
After that I sew the right side of the dress and sew the invisible zipper to the left side.
Then sewed the facing and hem the dress. Done!
Oh well, I tried the dress as soon as finished and so disappointed with the fitting of the neckline. Both front and back were too big 3 cm :(
So, quick decision I added the darts in both sides - 1.5 cm in both corners of chest area and the same for back side.
These pictures below are the final dress in my dress form, hope you can spot the darts on the wrong sides of the dress. Also, forget to mention that I sewed the bias tape around the armhole facing.
That's it for my today post everyone, hope you are having a lovely weekend :) I am going to share this post to MAGAM Facebook Group and ready to work on the real dress with Joyful fabric :)
+Hana Velvet Ribbon