I am making a dress for April - Make A Garment A Month (magam) with the theme "Blooming Flowers".
After thinking and looking for the right fabric and pattern to work with, I chose this beautiful watercolour floral chiffon that I won from Ariation's giveaway. As the chiffon is transparent, I will lining the dress bodice with jersey net fabric in white color and I will make half slip to cover my lower body.
For the pattern, I am using BurdaStyle Smocked Maxi Dress 04/2013 size 34. I have to grade down the pattern because the minimum size from the original pattern is 36.
I decided to change the loops and buttons to three little bows or just one bow at the center front. I will see...
Also, I will reduce the dress length from maxi to tea length.
I cut all the fabric pieces, fashion fabric and lining. Also cut the belt and bias tape for the neckline and armholes.
I placed the lining fabric right side facing the wrong side of the fashion fabric. I pinned in all edges and stitched 1 cm seam allowance. I did that in both front and back bodices.
After I stitched front and back bodices, I folded the shoulders and pins them 1 cm wide. And then stitched down 4 cm long
I worked on the wrong side of the bodice, open/spread the folded area and pinned. As shown below,
Then I attached and pinned the front and back bodices right sides together at the shoulder. Then stitched them with 1.5 cm seam allowance.
After that, I worked with the neckline and armholes binding. Firstly, I cut 5 cm wide fabric x 3 yards long. I think I was exaggerated but anyway... it's better to have leftover than not enough and I need to cut more fabric.
I pinned the bias tape fabric right side facing the lining. Stitched with 1 cm seam allowance. Then trimmed the fabric 1/2 cm. As shown below,
After the method above done, I worked on the right side of the dress at the armholes and neckline. I folded the bias tape fabric 1 cm, pinned and stitched all around.
Then I pinned the center front and stitched with 1.5 cm seam allowance. Sew the raw edges of fabric with an ovelocker sewing machine.
After that, I pleated and pinned the skirt onto the bodice right sides together. Then stitched it.