Today, I'd like to share my latest sewing project that I made in the beginning of December and that I already wore several times :)
The other day when I was popping around Pinterest, I found a free dress pattern that I cannot resist to give it a try. After I saved and printed the pattern, I checked inside my stash box but I couldn't find two yards of knit cotton to make the full dress.
Then, I went to another stash box and luckily found the leftover knit cotton in black and white, both are 75 cm. So, only enough to make a color block t-shirt :)
Well, my first experiment of this pattern was good. I like the simple basic pattern that is so easy to mix and match. For now, I am happy to make the t-shirt and for sure I will make the dress in the future :)
Pattern and alteration:
I used a free pattern The Brigitte Dress from Love Sewing Magazine, size 8.
As I made a top from this pattern, I cut the pattern on the hip line with the following alteration:
- Because I used knit cotton fabric, I skip the darts and the back zipper
- I added 1.5 cm in both sides at the waist line. This is the easier way to create a relaxed t-shirt without feeling tight at the waist
- Shorten the sleeve a little bit until the top of my elbow
- Finished the neckline with neckband, I followed this tutorials to sew the neckband ~~here is the link~~
- To made the color block t-shirt, I slashed the front pattern in four pieces and slashed the back pattern in two pieces. I added 1.5 cm seam allowance in all edges and 3 cm seam allowances for sleeve hem and hemline
I worked on the front t-shirt first by cutting all the pieces and put them in the order as shown in the picture below.
After I have done the front t-shirt, then I worked on the back t-shirt. I cut the back in two pieces, white color for the top and black color for the bottom - as shown in the picture below left side,
Sew the back pieces right sides together. Here is the result,
And then sew the sleeves. After I have done the sleeves, I sew the neckband onto the neckline.
Then I did the last work on making this t-shirt, sew the hemline and sleeves hem 3 cm using a twin needle. Done!
And here are two more pictures of me wearing the t-shirt, side and back views,
Until next... and I wish everyone Happy Holidays!