Saturday, October 26, 2013

Make A Garment A Month Challenge - Something Simple And Wearable..

Hello...
It has been more than two weeks since I wrote a blog post, once again my boy sick during the whole last week, he had high fever and throat infection. What a poor little thing :(  But I am very happy that he is fine and already back to school on Tuesday.

As I mentioned on my last post, I am joining a challenge "make a garment a month" and my first project is a simple dress that I am planning to wear on my holidays soon.
And here she is....


dress front


Pattern:
I used 'Flounce Dress 5C" Burdastyle special A/W 2013 size 34 for the bodice and size 38 for the skirt. I raised the front neck 2 cm - I did it because I already knew that Burdastyle "V" neck style always too low for my taste. I omitted the sleeves and the flounce. I lengthen the skirt 7 cm and finished the hem line with blind hem.

Materials:
2 yards of printed crepe, lightweight fusible interfacing for the neck facing, me-made bias tape for the armhole finishing, elastic and same color of thread.

Sewing process:
I had a vary size between the bodice and the skirt, so I made pattern adjustment on the waist area. Then I made muslin first for this dress, my muslin completed with sleeves and flounce - I did it in case I want to make the dress as original pattern had.
After I had done my muslin, I tried it but the elastic inserted too low for my body. So I have to raised the elastic line right on the waist line.
~  so sorry that I didn't show you my muslin ~

The sewing process is easy and enjoyable, the "V" neck and armhole done nicely.
For the neckline facing, I iron the fusible interfacing onto the wrong side of the fabric. Sew the neckline facing on the neckline right sides together. Turn the facing inside and hand stitch the facing at the shoulder.
For the armhole, I sew the me-made bias tape onto the wrong side/inner armhole.
And here are more pictures of the dress,

"v" neck done nicely


I sew the  bias tape around the inner armhole for nicely finish


dress back

And here is the last picture of me wearing my new dress. I am loving this dress, it's simple but wearable... :)

Have a lovely weekend to you all!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Make A Garment A Month Challenge.


Hello everyone!
I am joining Sarah Liz of SarahLizSewStyle on the challenge called "make a garment a month", please check over her blog post for more details here.
I am planning to make a dress and a jacket based on burdastyle special - autumn/winter 2013. For the dress, I will use 2 yards of printed crepe, I bought the fabric last month here in a local fabric shop. And for the jacket, I will use 3 yards of linen in strong blue and will lining up with cotton polka dot in deep blue, both of the linen and polka dot fabric are from stash. But before I make the dress and the jacket, I will make muslin for both of them.

 

For the dress, I will use pattern no 5C but I am thinking to skip the flounce and the dress will be sleeveless. I am needing a new dress to wear on short vacation on the coming month :)

For the jacket, I will use pattern no 1B but without cape.

Wishing you all a lovely Wednesday and happy sewing!

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Burdastyle Magazine 10/2013 And Burdastyle Special - Autumn/Winter 2013

Hello!
A very good news, everyone! I got two new Burdastyle magazines! My dear sister in-law bought it from England. I am very lucky girl :-)
 
Burdastyle magazine 10/2013,

 
 
 
 


 
Burdastyle special - autumn/winter 2013,


 

 

 


 
I love Burdastyle patterns and most of my work based in it. And with these new magazines, I will make more projects for "style the stash sew a long" and "make a garment a month challenge". We will see... :)
 
A little note : for the patterns from the magazine 10/2013, you can buy downloadable here 
 
 






Monday, October 7, 2013

Wearable Muslin And Lovely Sunday Afternoon

Hello!
This is the first wearable muslin that I made! Well, usually I make muslin from white cotton then I will throw it to the trash after fitting.
I am planning to make a long sleeve blouse for fall/winter but I want to try the pattern first by making a wearable muslin. I thought that the collar and the front plackets were not so easy to work.

As I only had 1.20 yards of printed chiffon inside my stash, I decided to make a sleeveless blouse.
For the pattern, I used burdastyle shirt blouse 03/2013 size 36.
As this blouse is wearable muslin and sleeveless, I omitted the sleeves, sleeves tabs, hem tabs, finish the hem line with an overlocker machine - rolled hemmed and sew me-made bias tape onto the armhole.
blouse front

blouse back
 
After all, the collar and the front plackets aren't difficult to sew. I pleat the front plackets to the blouse body, sew it according to the instructions. As this blouse doesn't have a collar stand, I pivot the end of the placket so the collar will insert nicely on the body.
collar and plackets details
 
To create nicely sleeveless style blouse, I sew 7 mm self-made bias tape onto the armhole right sides together. Then turn the bias tape inside the armhole (wrong side). After that, I pin the bias tape and sew it around the armhole.
Here is the little tutorial of making bias tape by your self, bias tape tutorials
armhole details
 
I love this blouse so much, the fabric is so airy and fresh to wear on summer and the style is just right for everyday wear without feeling to much dressed-up.

And before I say good bye for today post, I would like to share with you some photos that my husband took on Sunday afternoon while we are walking around the hill. Beside I wear my new sleeveless blouse for testing, we had a great time enjoying the nature.
me and my son Eduardo walking on the hill


Have a great week everyone! Happy sewing and stash styling!

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...