Lace Long Sleeve Flowy Blouse

Image
I'm finally back to writing on this blog after being busy for two months, I still sew some small items and mend a few clothes but haven't sewn new clothes.  Until two days before Valentine's arrived, I felt like I had to sew a new blouse to wear to dinner. The blouse had to be in the shade of pink, so I checked my stash and found 2 yards of lace fabric in fuchsia that I don't remember when I bought it. After I had the fabric, I started making the pattern (based on my previous self-drafted blouse pattern) I modified the pattern into a flowy blouse. The pattern was simple, a round neckline, gathered front and back yokes and gathered sleeves with elastic bands. Here is the pattern that I drafted, And after the pattern was done, I cut the fabric as usual. The sewing process was fun and turned out to be easier than I imagined. I sewed the neckline front and back yokes and then attached them to the gathered bodices as shown below. After that, I sewed the shoulder lines togeth

Finished Magam May Trousers



Hello everyone,
I am very happy that I managed to finish my May project for  Make A Garment A Month Challenge and already wore it last Thursday for MMM day 29 - as shown on the picture above :)
It took so long to finish this trousers because I got some kind of laziness, I just want to sew something easy this moment. So, making trousers was really a wrong decision. But anyway, I am so glad that I've done it before the end of the month :)

For the pattern: I used Burdastyle Bootcut Trousers 10/2013#126 A size 38 with some adjustments.
And for the materials: I used 2 yards of stretch twill woven cotton in grey color, polka dots cotton for integrated pocket, fusible interfacing for the waistband, hook n eye, snap fastener, zipper and same color of thread.

Sewing process :
I mentioned on my last post that I will use size 36 but in the end I used size 38.
I made muslin first for better result and better fitting trousers ( as in the past I am not really sure how many pants muslin end up to the trash without any good result ).
I used my printed cotton from stash for the muslin, but this time I just make it until the top of my ankle. My muslin included side hips yoke with integrated pocket piece but without pocket pieces. I also added a waistband on the muslin. Here is the result,


I mark my muslin with orange color with a-b and c, that to show you some area that I need to make some fitting. I am not an expert on pants making but I'd love to show you how I worked on fitting.
  • a - The waist area is too high for my taste, so I reduced it 2 cm. I measured 4 cm from upper trousers. I did the same way for all pieces, front-back and side hip yoke.
  • b - As you can see the middle front of my muslin look bulky, so I added the dart with 1.5 cm with 10 cm length.
  • c - The muslin seem too big on the bottom, so I have to reduced 2 cm in both sides - in front and the back. It starting from knee area down to the hem.
I hope my explanations will make a sense and you can see below picture of my pattern drawing with adjustments

After all the adjustments, here is the result of my muslin. I think it look better than the first one :)

After my muslin done, I worked on the trousers according to the instructions. The only conclusion is inserting the zip slit, but I am safe because Sarah Liz posted an easy way on inserting zip slit last time. You can pop over her blog post here.

Well, I am not going to explain more about how I worked on the trousers. It was a tricky and boring project to make. But in the end of my work, I can smile and I say to myself that I did a nice work and I will wear this trousers more often for everyday wear :)

Here are more pictures of me wearing the trousers with my cowl top,


And the last picture of the details - trousers front with zipper, hook n eye and snap fastener - the integrated pocket with polka dots fabric - and the trousers inside, front view with zip slit detail.

I think is enough for my today post and now I am thinking of making a t-shirt or blouse to match with this trousers :) I have two fabrics from my stash that I think will look good for it. We will see later...

Happy sewing!!

Comments

  1. Wow, these are very professional-looking. You're adjustments are really well done. I'm impressed with how you got rid of the wrinkles in the back crotch area. And thanks for sharing your drawings. I do them as well and keep my notes with each project. For me it's part of the fun of sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Coco! Thank you so much for lovely comment, I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. Your pants are marvelous. All the muslin work paid off. Pants adjustments scare me. I have yet to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, you have to try again and again. I am sure one day you will get it right :)

      Delete
  3. Nice good on your pants! They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hana, These are just Perfect!!! SO happy you shared your muslins and drawings.. So helpful..
    Look forward to seeing your blouse..
    Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, thank you :) I still don't know if I will make a blouse or a t-shirt. Well, maybe I will make both :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Hana, you did such a great job. Your pants look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so flattered with your compliment ;)

      Delete
  6. You have done such a great job on these Hana - and I agree, making pants is very, very boring - especially with multiple muslins. That's the hard part, sewing pants is easy, but still not exciting like pretty things. I agree, these pants were far too full in the leg, and you do look better with the lower waistband - which makes sense, because you are petite, so the original waistband would have been too high for you. I'm glad my tutorial helped. I think your have done a marvelous job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz :) You can not imagine how I push myself to finish this trousers - it was a very crazy work. But I think I am ready for another pants making after I make the top :)

      Delete
  7. Great pair of pants, Hana. I like your sketches of the alterations too. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pants look great on you, Hana. And I'm so glad you showed how you made your adjustments—very helpful to those of us who are still somewhat mystified by the process of fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia. I love to hear your compliment, thank you :) I hope it will help other to solve some of the problem on pants making :)

      Delete
  9. You are braver than I am! I still haven't tried pants...I'm scared of the fitting! Your notes are really helpful and your adjustments were just perfect, though -- these pants look very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melwyk.. Don't be scare, just try to make it and you will get it right one day :) Thank you for sweet comment.

      Delete
  10. Hi Hana. Daisy in Sussex here from Me Made May. I also am making some trousers this month and not having made any for some time they are proving to need a few adjustments. I didn't make a muslin though! I like your photo of the "raw" materials - really good idea and if you don't mind, I hope to use photo like this in some of my posts. The drawing is a really good explanation too. Your finished pants look great.

    Linda
    http://daisycreatesinsussex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, so nice to see you here in the blogosphere. You are welcome to use my picture but please give the link back :-)
      Thank you for lovely comment and I think you should make a muslin first before your real pants. Good luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment